new mobo and new a64 cpu, won't boot :(

MizugoriMizugori NYC
edited September 2005 in Hardware
ok i just dismantled my pc and replaced the abit nf7-s and barton 2800+ with

these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

the rest of the system is an antec truepower 430watts, an AGP ati radeon 9800xt, and 2 x 512mb Patriot xbl pc3200

ALL i hooked up to start were the cpu, motherboard, psu, and video card. everything comes on, fans spin on the cpu and video card, but nothing on the monitor. i KNOW the video card is fine, i even tried putting a 9700pro in and that didnt work either. afterwards, i put the 9700pro back into the dell it came from and it works fine.

i tried moving the ram to the other two slots, nothing. i tried just one piece of ram; nothing.

i took out everything except the cpu and when i turn it on, it beeps a sequence of 3 tons repeatedly so the cpu and mobo are ok?? i think?

any ideas?

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    First off (assuming you're using windows)- when you make a system change like changing the motherboard, you're going to have to re-intall windows (or do a repair install, which doesn't always work).
    Mizugori wrote:
    i took out everything except the cpu and when i turn it on, it beeps a sequence of 3 tons repeatedly so the cpu and mobo are ok?? i think?
    okay of course thats not going to work... you have to have RAM in for it to boot.

So - put all the components back in and boot from your OS cd. Reformat the HD and install windows on it.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited September 2005
    Have you got an old pci vid card to try?

Could it be a cold boot issue?like here.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    Put ram in slot 3 and reset the bios.

If that fails rma the motherboard.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    I would try to physically remove the CMOS battery for about 15 minutes to let everything clear, and then try again. I've seen some odd post issues like that in the past that can be corrected with a good cmos clear.

Also, in taking a closer look at your mainboard, it appears that it supports both PCI-E and AGP graphics cards. I know that these hybrid boards don't have 'true' AGP support, so you may want to try a PCI or PCI-E card to test (as mentioned above). Perhaps there is a jumper, or something on the board that needs to be physically set to 'AGP' ?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    That particular chipset actually supports true AGP, natively on the southbridge, as opposed to using PCI bridging to accomplich pseudo-AGP functions.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Here is an issue I have found most computer builders will forget to do! it is a very simple but critical issue. Some PSU's don't even have the right plugs for it. But check this image out and make sure you have both of you power plug'ins for the MOBO inserted correctly. You have you 4 Pin Plug and you standard PSU plug-in....

mobo.JPG

When I built my first system my mobo had a 4 prong plug like this and in the Mobo booklet , it said nothing about connecting power to it, well stupid me thought I had a bad mobo. After hours of pulling hardware out and putting it back In I RMA'ed the board and than realized my mistake after it was in transit.... So 5 years later I still see people forgetting this 1 crucial item. But let me know if it is the problem.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    i have the 4pin connected

i thought it could be cold boot issues but man, i have literally sat there and just tried booting it like 25 times. no go.

im going to try the ram in slot3 (why, just curious?) when i get home and if it doesnt work its RMA time
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    If romoving the ram in slot 3 doesn't work try ram in just slot 1....or A1...

1.) Did you try the Battery?
    2.) Have you check your jumpers?
    3.) do you get any lead lights form the HD?
    4.) Or does the HD spin up?
    5.) did you try new IDE cables?
    6.) If you can did you try both AGP and PCI-E slots for graphics