Samsung LCD monitor

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I have asked this question before but never received a reply, so I will try again for an answer. I have done a google search many times and have not found any info there unless I am not searching correctly? I have a Samsung 19" LCD monitor 915N. My question is about refresh rate. I have read many times that the refresh rate on a LCD is preset. I am running the resolution at 1024x768 because my eyesight is not that great. The native resolution for this monitor is 1280x1024. When I go to desktop/properties/settings/advanced/monitor I see refresh rates in the pulldown from 60-85. If it is preset why do I have many to choose from?
It is set at 60 now is this the correct setting for a LCD monitor? Thank you for any answer to this question...

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    you're thinking about response time, not refresh rate
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited September 2005
    The response time for this monitor is 8ms. That much I know. But what should the refresh rate be set to?
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for all the replys, guess I'll try somewhere else.... :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    Refresh rates are autodetected. Typically a 16ms response time equates to about a 60hz refresh rate, while a 13ms response time equates to 75hz refresh rate. See the correlation? You can change under windows, but risk damaging the screen.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited September 2005
    Refresh rates are autodetected. Typically a 16ms response time equates to about a 60hz refresh rate, while a 13ms response time equates to 75hz refresh rate. See the correlation? You can change under windows, but risk damaging the screen.

Thank you for your reply. So since my monitor has 8ms response time I should be running about 80 or 85 on the refresh rate? Not 60 like it is now.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    ronbo wrote:
    So since my monitor has 8ms response time I should be running about 80 or 85 on the refresh rate?
    That be correct mang...as far as why windows reports the 60hz figure, windows gives LCD monitors a refresh rate, but the value does not mean much. Manufacturer specs play a role here...