Normal, letterbox or Widescreen for XBOX?

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited September 2005 in Gaming
I have a 4:3 hdtv and Im not sure how I am supposed to set up the screen settings in the xbox menu. Im assuming I should not select widescreen since it is not a widescreen set, but choose letter box on the xbox instead and set the picture type, on the tv, to widescreen?
HDTV and EDTV are supposed to be displayed in widescreen, correct?

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    considering that none of the games for the xbox are actually high definition anyway (they can just add extra real-estate on the sides) I'd just leave it in the regular 4x3 mode
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited September 2005
    fudgam wrote:
    I have a 4:3 hdtv and Im not sure how I am supposed to set up the screen settings in the xbox menu. Im assuming I should not select widescreen since it is not a widescreen set, but choose letter box on the xbox instead and set the picture type, on the tv, to widescreen?
    HDTV and EDTV are supposed to be displayed in widescreen, correct?

don't get HD and widescreen mixed up they are not the same - HD can be in any aspect it depends on how the material was formatted for presentation.

So since you don't have a widescreen T.V and most X-box games are formatted for 4:3 then you don't have an issue, on a widescreen t.v setting the x-box to widescreen places the black bars on both sides of the image so it looks correct on that format .. so set your T.V to 4:3 as that is the size you have .. HD is not a factor
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    however when the next gen of consoles comes around, it will be an issue
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited September 2005
    O, ok. Ill leave it on 4:3 then. Thanks
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    considering that none of the games for the xbox are actually high definition anyway...

Actually there are quite a few HD Xbox games.

But yea, use 4x3.