BLUE screen error - PLEASE HELP!!!

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hi, I'm new here & found this forum when I was searching for solutions to my problem. Here is what happened!
I ordered a new Dell Inspiron9300 laptop 2weeks back with this config:
Pentium M740 1.73GHz,
1GB RAM, 80GB ultra ATA HD,
256MB NVIDIA6800 graphics card,
WinXP home Ed Svc pack 2,
Inter pro wireless 220 internal wireless card.

I recd it last week, I installed Trend MicroPCcillin 2005 antivirus s/w, office 2003, Arcsoft media card s/w. I tried connecting the laptop to my home wireless network but it didn't. I checked Netgear website(bcoz my wireless router is Netgear) & as per netgear's forums, I downloaded a patch from Miscrosoft website(patch#KB884020). Netgear also asked me run a small registry patch which I did. Please see link for details http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=7449

Still didnt work & couldnt connect to my home network. I blamed my router for that messup & so took my laptop to a public cafe to test with the public network - laptop couldn't connect & the screen froze. After this incident, my laptop screen started freezing quite randomly. So I called the Dell Wireless Tech support - they tried couple of things & at the end, he made me uninstall & reinstall the Intel Pro Wireless Driver. After doing that, when I was trying to shutdown the laptop, I got the BLUE screen error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The tech guy immediately transferred me to his Harware tech support. The H/W guy made me run the H/W diagnostic test & found my h/w was ok. He said since it is a s/w issue, I wasn't covered under warranty & so I need to pay $100 to troubleshoot it. I was *FUMING* by then & said I wasnt gonna pay a penny more for a brand new laptop that wasnt working.

When I called Cust Support to tell abt returning my laptop, they said since I wasn't cooperating with them to troubleshoot, I should pay the return shipping. Ok, can you sense how ANGRY I am?

Now...I need all you techies help. What should I do? Should I keep that silly laptop, troubleshoot the s/w(maybe talk them into waiving that fee since it is brand new) & continue? Or should I just pay the damn $80 for shipping & just get rid of this laptop? How serious is this BLUE screen error & the random freezing of my laptop?

PLEASEEEE HELP :-( I'm feeling so helpless
- SD

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Call them back and ask for there manager if they wont help you. Tell them your wireless isn't working, and regarless if I want to pay troubleshooting costs or not I want a new Lappy. If they don't comform to your needs ask for the regional VP of service,, If he says I can do that sir, than it is time to get crazy... If they want to provide 100% perfect service than the customer is always right. they will replace it at no charge to you. If that dosen't work IM me and I can try to help you furthur.
  • edited September 2005
    When I spoke to Cust Support, they said they could waive the S/W troubleshooting fee & I could troubleshoot with their S/W support. But I'm hesitant bcoz after paying $1500, I don't want a faulty laptop which might freeze on me after a month & when I can't return also!! He says he can't help me about the shipping fee & that I should shell it out of my pocket.

So I'm trying to find how serious this could be - If I take the free S/W troubleshooting, am I tying myself into years & years of BSOD errors & frustrations? Or should I just get rid of this piece of crap at my own cost? He just wouldn't budge for the free return shipping fee(& they sent me a free Dell printer too - crap, I got to ship that too!).

Let me ask if he would give me a free exchange of laptop as per your suggestion.
    edited September 2005
    NA... the printer is free, but throw it away as they charge 10 million for printer cartridges that you can only buy from them :(

but as to the troubleshooting, if it is free than do it and if it doesn't work send it back, If you are persistent they will give free shipping, it is their machines error. if you the rep on the phone says no...Tell him you want to speak to the manager, If it is him than tell him you want to be put in contact with his boss. Don’t let them screw you on it...fight back.
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks for your suggestions..
    I called Dell support & asked for a free exchange & they agreed....why wouldnt they - they already have my money!!!!
    I just wasnt happy doing a free s/w troubleshooting coz even if all that worked, in the back of my mind it would keep pricking me that it is a faulty laptop.

Now...tell me this...u saw my laptop's config & the s/w that I installed - what could have caused the BSOD error? Maybe I'll be more careful with the new one that way?

Thanks again for all your help...truly appreciate it.
    edited September 2005
    Many things can cause this error, maybe a corrupted install, maybe a faulty wireless setup, Maybe it was just windows. It is one of the many issues that are seen and never known until someone can replicated them over and over again, and once that happens we can only hope to find a fix for it.

In many cases some software and hardware are not compatible with certain systems. They just don’t like each other. But I always fall back on User reviews and big companies. I am not the one to go buy the $25 wireless chip instead of the $35.00 trusted brand, just to save $10. When it comes to wireless setups, there are many brands out there that are trusted, but in my opinion Cisco/ Linksys are the best on the market, they are not known for causing issues with drivers and have a good relationship with Microsoft. But in the future with your new Lappy, make sure the drivers you are using are legit, find forums or posts with similar issues, and see what there outcome was. It is always good to do a bit of field research before you do anything, I’m sure there is thousands of people online with the same setup as you, and I’m sure 1 or 2 of them have had the same issue posted somewhere on the web. So in all welcome to the confusing world of hardware…

But I wish you best of luck with Dell and your new Lap top, and feel free to send me IM’s or e-mails with any questions.