DISK BOOT FAILURE on K8Neo4 Plat w/ SATA drive

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Alright, I've just built a 64 bit K8Neo4 plat with an athlon 64 3000+. I'm trying to use a 80GB seagate SATA drive as the boot drive.. and I can install XP onto it, and I can even boot to XP once... but if I try to install drivers (I think its if I reboot), it won't let me and gives a 'DISK BOOT FAILURE' The interesting part is that I have a 2nd drive, a western digital that it could also boot from if it felt so inclined. But, it doesn't want to do that... so, what the hell is going on? This is extremely time-sensitive... I need to get this computer running today.

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Maybe it works when I have the XP cd in... not sure why that'd be though.
  • edited September 2005
    now it blue screened when trying to repair windows.

Page fault in non paged area or something... and now its trying to restart setup.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    Wondering if you installed the SATA drivers with a floppy when the initial install occured? If so, then prior to that, the boot device priority should have been set to SCSI/SATA or other device, as the second device...El Torito being the first. Ensure that the SATA bios sees the attached drive and install your IDE HD as the primary master, but not as a boot device, so as not to confuse windows if say for instance...windows neglects to see the SATA for whatever reason (i.e. BIOS/SATA BIOS dropped the ball, etc.)

The drivers should be priority for installation when installing windows, F6 key for other devices...insert floppy...otherwise, you will run into the problem you are having. If you choose to install the OS off of the IDE HD, then later on decide to install the SATA drivers and change boot priority, the bootloader will fail.
  • edited September 2005
    Wondering if you installed the SATA drivers with a floppy when the initial install occured? If so, then prior to that, the boot device priority should have been set to SCSI/SATA or other device, as the second device...El Torito being the first. Ensure that the SATA bios sees the attached drive and install your IDE HD as the primary master, but not as a boot device, so as not to confuse windows if say for instance...windows neglects to see the SATA for whatever reason (i.e. BIOS/SATA BIOS dropped the ball, etc.)

The drivers should be priority for installation when installing windows, F6 key for other devices...insert floppy...otherwise, you will run into the problem you are having. If you choose to install the OS off of the IDE HD, then later on decide to install the SATA drivers and change boot priority, the bootloader will fail.

I have tried it with both installing the drivers, and also not installing.

I'm leaning seriously hard on motherboard and/or Hard Drive atm... either the hard drive is bad or the motherboard is corrupting hard drives...

What do you mean the bootloader will fail?

Tomorrow (aka in 6hrs)... gah, I'm working too much and sleeping too little.
    Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to bring in a friend of mine who knows a ****load about SATA... and we're gonna try a list of things. I'll tell you guys what works and what doesnt work. But, Im leaning towards hardware.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    Radek wrote:

What do you mean the bootloader will fail?

I think it simply means that if you don't install the drivers when Windows install asks for them, the drive won't boot. Installation at any other time won't take.