Hope this isn't pointless

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
ok..got my ram, just now tried to stick one of the 512 sticks in after i finally got done with my home work. and the computer boots to the windows load screen and then gives me a bsod. It goes so quick and then rebots. its on there just long enough for me to know that its a bsod. i dont have enough time to write the code down or anything. but im running xp pro. and i have 2 sticks of the same ram in dimms 1 & 3 and i just tried to stick it in dimm 2. im gonna try putting the existing ram in dimms 2 & 3 and dimms 1 & 2 to make sure that dimm 2 isnt bad, but im pretty sure its not since the bios registers 1.5 gb of ram. does anyone have any idea why windows doesnt like 3 sticks of 512, the mb has no problem with it... I cant figure out why windows doesnt want me to have over a gig of ram? :scratch:

Like i said earlier, everything goes well till around half way through the windows load screen, it could be doing it right before its about to go to the log in, but i've never timed it before.

lemme know if you know.

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    I had the same problem. It turned out to be some bad ram. My pc would boot into windows and after about 20 seconds or so, i would get a BSOD (really fast, like stay on the screen for 1 second) and then it would reboot.

edit- this post bumped my post per day average up to .73 :D
    At one point i dont think i was active for a few months killing it :( lol
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Hi Andy

I think the first thing to do is, Take out the third stick of ram and put it back the way it was before. Then boot into windows, log in and Right click "My Computer" click "Properties" Click the "Advanced" tab, in the the third box down " Startup and recovery" click on the settings tab. Under the heading "system failure" uncheck the box that says "Automaically restart"

With that done at least you will be able to read the BSOD screen to see why windows is not happy.

This is just a guess but many boards do not like 3 sticks of ram.

Let us know what happens

Scott
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Well, my board only has 3 dimms, other wise i would have put all four sticks in. Its meant to hold 3 gb of ram, and im only trying to put 1.5 gigs in it. so that shouldnt be the problem. I got it working again so thats no problem, soon as i took the memory out of dimm 2 it booted normally no probs :thumbsup: When i get home from school, im going to put only the 2 new sticks that i just got in and see if it will boot with them. and then put the other stick in if it will.

I have tried to get memtest to load before off of a floppy but i got some wierd error message about my computer not supporting something or another. I will try it again, and ive heard that there is a bootable cd that you can make for memtest. will try that also.

Im also going to make sure that dimm to is for sure good and working by putting the two sticks that i have now in dimms 1 & 2. Other than that, im not sure why windows wouldnt like my other stick of ram unless it is bad. hopefully memtest can tell me this, and i would rather it not be bad.

Thanks for the help, im also gonna turn off the restart on error and see whats wrong.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    lol airborn - I apologize okay? :)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Andy, list the rest of the system please.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    As of now.

Gigabyte K8NS-Pro
    2 * 512 mb ocz plat. rev 2
    athalon 64 sok 754 2800 newcastle
    Albatron trinity 6800 GT
    onboard sound
    netgear fa-311 network adapter

aa.jpg