USB Storage device swamping explorer.exe

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just started using a 400G external USB storage device and Im in the process of transfering some larger files (music, video etc). Once I start doing this my computer slows to a crawl and task manger shows explorer.exe running at 99 and 100 percent. Once the transfer stops, this problem persists and I have to reboot. Whats happening?

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    I am assuming USB 2? If so, make sure that the chipset drivers and the USB device driver is updated. Also, what OS and SP level are you running? I know that the SIS chipsets had some issues, but a patch was released to pre SP 2 for XP level. Let me know and we can work form there...
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited September 2005
    I am assuming USB 2? If so, make sure that the chipset drivers and the USB device driver is updated. Also, what OS and SP level are you running? I know that the SIS chipsets had some issues, but a patch was released to pre SP 2 for XP level. Let me know and we can work form there...
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited September 2005
    It is a USB 2 device but the port is not USB 2 capable, but it says I have the most up to date driver.

I am running Windows XP.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    There are a variety of MS patchs available for firewire and usb connected hard drives. You should also verify you have the very latest drivers for the MB/Chipset as posted above.

Tex
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    if you are plugging a usb2.0 hdd (480mbps max) into a usb1.1 port (11mbps max) you will have noticeable slowdowns.

if you try to fill up that 400gb hdd through usb 1.1 interface it will take a very long time.

my advice would be to grab a cheap usb2.0 pci card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=1871%3A12431&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=73&Submit=Property