Friends Computer Rebooting

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited September 2005 in Hardware
My friend has been having problems with his computer reciently, and this past Saturday I went over to see what I could do with it. Its been hanging up randomly after anywhere from 1 hour to 1-2 days in between, the screen would shut off but the computer would keep running. Anyhow he bought a new 6800 vid card thinking that may solve the problem, and I flashed up the newest BIOS to his gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 MOBO and ran Memtest for about 4 hours with no errors.

Today I get a call and its just randomly rebooting totally now.

Any idea what this is? Did I not leave memtest on long enough to find an error?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    so what was the point of buying a new videocard?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    You have a spare power supply you could try? Sounds like the one in there is going South and the new vid card pushed it over?

Because of the new vid card, see if you have a supply that is bigger than the one your friend has- especially on the +12V rail
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    so what was the point of buying a new videocard?

He wanted a new one? My guess is that he thought that would solve the problem but it didnt. So atleast we have one possiability for failure gone.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2005
    Qeldroma wrote:
    You have a spare power supply you could try? Sounds like the one in there is going South and the new vid card pushed it over?

Because of the new vid card, see if you have a supply that is bigger than the one your friend has- especially on the +12V rail

I can try that. I have a spare I put in my Girlfriends computer, but she's not going to be back home till next month.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    jradmin wrote:
    He wanted a new one? My guess is that he thought that would solve the problem but it didnt. So atleast we have one possiability for failure gone.

o ok, nvm i dont know what i was thinking

:cheers: