Need anti-static substitute

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hi, I just took some RAM out of my computer, and am out of anti-static bags...Is there anything I can use for a substitute? Someone told me I can use aluminum foil, is this correct? Thanks

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    I suuuure wouldn't think foil would protect it from anything. Static electricity is a type of electricity and foil is conductive. It would be even more prone to being fried by ESD if it was in foil.
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks, I was just reading that off of another forum and didn't think it made any sense. Do you know of anything I can use in its place?
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    A rubber mousepad (rubber side up)...
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    after 25+ years in the industry and building a couple thousand computers I think the danger of anti static is over rated. Not saying you can't kill something but rather that the fear is highly over rated.

Spray some downy on the carpet and you will be fine. I built hundreds of computers on the carpet sitting on the floor of my living room.

Tex
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    yeh..if your needing to store some ram for longterm or semi longterm. i go wit de zip-loc. has never failed me once.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    i go wit de zip-loc. has never failed me once.
    The same zip-loc bags that stick to my sweaters in the winter?

Tex has a point. As well, I usually work on the PCs barefooted (when private systems are being serviced) and am grounding myself to the case anyways...
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2005
    I remember a debate on anti-static bags some time ago and nobody would believe my point that anti-static bags are actually electrically conductive.

That's how they work because they don't allow a differential charge to build up around the component. Maybe that's why you have the suggestion of using aluminium foil as a substitute. I wouldn't bother though.

Stick 'em in a cardboard box or a paper bag and they'll be fine. :D

Cheers

Crypto

Edit: read this again and realised it's a bit misleading. When I say electrically conductive, it's not between the outside and inside layers (obviously). Here's an exhaustive link
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited September 2005
    i have my old 6600gt in a small brown paper bag..just folded it over a few times and Put a lil piece of scotch tape...it seems to protect.!

LMAO..ALUMINUM FOIL..ROFL god i love this forum.! :p
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    Static bags are overrated however I would suggest just heading to your local computer store and asking some. (Most computer stores have box's of them.)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Essentially, you get a faraday cage equiv out of a antistat bag that is sealed at end, and a piece of aluminum foil that is rolled tight at ends and edge. The main reason for not using aluminum foil is not that aluminum is unable to protect, rather aluminum foil is more likely to get something tiny but important detached from\broken off of the thing you want to save. For RAM, I use the box the new RAM came in, a piece of the foam from the motherboard packing (it's antstatic), taped on, in a snack-size ziplock bag, or a RAM antistatic bag.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    when a ziploc sticks to your sweater, the charge is on the outside of the bag, and furthermore, its most likely on your sweater. as long as the componet is in the bag, then there is very little danger. I've never had a componet get "zapped" in a zip loc.

paper is good, except that it deteriorates... :thumbsup:

I think someone said it earlier..but getting zapped by stacic charge is not likely but it does happen.