PC Freeze at times...

SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys,whats up..Ok heres is my problem..Im wondering if anyone could poss. tell me whats going on with my pc..Well for the past few weeks my pc will sometimes lock-up..i will be at my desktop,in IE,or any program really,even games...the computer will freeze and my cpu led will not flash but every 4 or 5 seconds...My mouse pointer will move the slightest bit every few secs.....i cannot ctrl,alt,del to reboot..i have to manualy reboot...I just Formated and reinstalled windows,BF2,and my Microsoft anti-spy..thats it....And yet and behold i does it again..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP...Its affecting my Work and i have tryed googling all that i could and havent found anything relative..THX in advance for any help..!

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    OK, couple of things to check....General Suggestions.

1. Resource usage. Verify that uneeded programs are not starting up. Msconfig is your friend.

2. Anti-virus/Spyware check. Update them and run full scans.

3. Check windows update for any needed security updates, patches, fixes.

4. Defrag and scandisk the drive.

5. Ensure that all drives are running DMA.

6. Turn off any unnecessary services.(Dependant on your situation and needs)

Specifically...
    Are you on a broadband connection? Also, have you been playing in BIOS recently? Judging by your sig, I have to ask that question. OC'er issues usually require a little more in depth troubleshooting. Visit BIOS and set to the FAILSAFE value. You can try OPTIMAL, but it is really up to you since optimal may push the system a little. Get into windows and see if anything is different. If stable, then you know what the problem is. We can work from there as a starting point. I am leaning slightly towards hardware...
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited September 2005
    well i am always checking my system resources..and i noticed that befor my Formatt that my CPU would be at like 90 to 100%sometimes....after the Format i didnt see resoces get that high but..it still froze after a while...As for the defrag,antispy,and virus,i keep my pc scaned and i never find spyware or viruses..The lastime i found a virus was when i was running win-xp-pro-32..

I looked up DMA and found the definition and still have no idead what DMA is...sorry and as for my BIOS i never go into my bios..my ovclk is what the builder of my pc suggested with my ram and all...im hitting over 1200 points in "Sandra" benchmark..
    the cpu temps are normal and my Rails seem to be holding good..Volts
    edited September 2005
    DMA can be toggled for the drives under Device manager ide/atapi controllers.
    edited September 2005
    To rule out hardware, you can systematically removes pieces and see how your situation changes...if any. If you do that, make sure that the motherboard is not grounding out and have the power supply tested.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited September 2005
    I have looked in my Device mang.and found the DMA settings..my tranfer mode is greyed out "Ultra DMA2 ultra33"..

and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
    NVIDIA Nforce3 250 parallel ATA contoller (v2.7)
    NVIDIA Nforce3 250 parallel ATA contoller (v2.7)
    is there suppose to be 2?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    SoLo wrote:
    Hey guys,whats up..Ok heres is my problem..Im wondering if anyone could poss. tell me whats going on with my pc..Well for the past few weeks my pc will sometimes lock-up..i will be at my desktop,in IE,or any program really,even games...the computer will freeze and my cpu led will not flash but every 4 or 5 seconds...My mouse pointer will move the slightest bit every few secs.....i cannot ctrl,alt,del to reboot..i have to manualy reboot...I just Formated and reinstalled windows,BF2,and my Microsoft anti-spy..thats it....And yet and behold i does it again..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP...Its affecting my Work and i have tryed googling all that i could and havent found anything relative..THX in advance for any help..!
    Install the latest chipset drivers.

If that fails put your speeds back to stock :p.