Power Problem

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hi, i have recently started to have quite an annoying problem when booting up my PC. Sometimes when i press the power button, nothing happens, or the fans spin for a spilt second and power down again. If i hit the outside of the case this can sometimes cause it to power up. If it does power up, it often switches off during the boot-up process, however the strange thing is, it never switches itself off once windows is fuly loaded.

I am using an anthlon 64 processor and a MSI k8 motherboard

Help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    Hmm, that is odd. Could you provide us with information on your power supply? (make/model etc)

Also, could you list all of the components in your system?

Thanks
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    Psu's probably blown. (Post your specs and we will find the one thats right for your system :) )
  • edited September 2005
    PSU COLORS it 400w. it says intel pentium 4, and amd athlon support

other components include 2 ddr ram modules, dvd writer, dvd reader, AGP graphics card, tv tuner card, wireless network card,
  • edited September 2005
    no i dont think its blown because it does boot fine sometimes
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    If i hit the outside of the case this can sometimes cause it to power up. If it does power up, it often switches off during the boot-up process, however the strange thing is, it never switches itself off once windows is fuly loaded.

Check your power connectors- you might try reseating any power connectors that are on on your motherboard- (be sure to turn power OFF first). While there see if anything is not right and that everything is secured or not hanging loose. If you lean your case sided to side and forwards - backwards and listen for anything loose.

You may also have a power switch going south - be sure to check that connector and wire run too.

Don't rule out a PSU here yet - it may be just beginning to show symptoms. See if you have a spare or or can get a hold of one to try. Eliminating this as a problem source is a big step. I'd try a power switch next.

Hope that helps -
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    I have a s939 3400+ AMD on a Ultra D lanparty MB and usually have to hit the power button 3 times to get it to boot. First two times the fans try and spin for a second but it doesn't make it up. They turn for a couple seconds and stop.

I think mine is a psu problem and have another PSU ready to install with a stronger 12v rail which I think will solve it.

Tex
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    PSU COLORS it 400w...

if i was a betting man, i would bet that the culprit is your cheap psu.

a quality psu is one of the most important components of any pc build. try antec, ocz, enermax, etc...
  • edited September 2005
    what do you mean by 'a power switch going south?'. I have removed and re-inserted each component step by step, but no change. I was thinking though, if the underside of the motherboard is pressed against the metal case, can this not cause it to short out?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    Uhhhhh.....

YES

But you probably need to get another PSU based on your problems.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    are you not using standoffs? you know those little brass or plastic things that go on the motherboard tray first so that your mobo doesn't touch the bare metal.

if your mobo is screwed directly onto the notherboard tray of your computer case, then you have a major problem. Also you probably have the answer as to why you have a power problem.

you need to use the standoffs!!! then worry about your psu problem. you might have taken out even more components by attaching the mobo directly to the case.

try removing everything form the case, laying the mobo on a cardboard box, and testing it outside of the case. then eliminate the faulty components one by one.