cdrom errors in Event Viewer

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just noticed that there are a couple of errors under then Source:cdrom..when I double clicked one of them it says "The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."
Anyone can help me?
err can I just buy the Windows XP Pro SP2 Disc and install in my Windows XP Pro SP1 but cannot pass the verification for the genuine software thing(just asking,not related to topic)

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    It sounds like the cd disk has probs. Could be the cd drive but its hard to tell remotley like this without testing.

YES if you buy a real win xp sp2 disk you can just upgrade the XP you have now as long as its the same version. ie win xp pro needs to upgrade a pro version. XP home needs to upgrade a home cd version etc..
  • edited September 2005
    how to test?somehow those errors are on 18/19 september like the errors have a 1min interval..that day i realised a floppy disk in there..so maybe that caused the problem.I don't see any recent error except 2 errors from 23sep like 1min interval for each
    The site told me to
    User Action
    Do one or all of the following:

Retry the operation.
    Clean the physical hard drive.
    Use newer media

Explanation
    The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted

I think my xp pro sp1 right now the product key used by some other guy..so i can't activate so is it still possible to upgrade to sp2 with disc or i have to get a full set ?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    If you can't activate it then I would think you need a full set with fresh cd key. Go buy a new xp sp2 cd. If you have an install out there now it can be upgraded using the new xp sp2 cd.

Tex
  • edited September 2005
    ok probably get full then to be safer..what about the errors any idea?i have like 2-3 Dhcp errors..
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    I get log entries like that all the time. It's usually because you have a CD in the drive which has some sort of copy protection, like SafeDisc. These discs are intentionally created with a bad block so your burner software will choke if you try to copy it. If the drive works fine otherwise, just ignore it.