My Comp Eats Power Supplies

themcmanimalthemcmanimal Davidson, NC
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I recently built my first computer. The first couple of times I turned it on and off it worked fine. After using it about a week I turned it off, and I noticed something funny. Right when it finished shutting down a red light started flashing in the bottom left corner of my mobo, and the main fan in the back would try to spool up every time the red light flahsed. I tried to turn it back on, but nothing happend, it just kept flashing. I was using a so-so power supply so I switched to a better power supply, and the compter turned back on again. I thought everything worked fine until I shut it down again and the red light started flashing again! Once again, it wont turn on at all. Any idea whats going on? Im runnning a 500 watt Antec smartpower 2.0, a new LANParty NF4 ultra mobo, and an AMD64 3200+

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Perhaps your power (from the wall socket) is dirty. That could cut the lifespan of any power supply.

What else do you have in your system?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    shwaip's suggestion is well worth checking out.

I'd double-check the standoffs for the MB, too. If one is out of place you could be shorting something out. :(
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    I would second the thought of checking the power from the wall itself. This is where running a voltage regulator really pay off.

Tex
  • themcmanimalthemcmanimal Davidson, NC
    edited September 2005
    I have three roomates in the same house that have never had any problems with their computers. Is is possible that it is an outlet-specific problem? Also my two supplies blew during the shut-down procedure - they worked fine when the computer was on.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    It may just be the receptacle or breaker you are on (is it attached to a switch by any chance?). Basically anything that will cause power spikes to feed or load is tough on and can even be hazardous to any electronic system and merits checking out. Tex's suggestion is a good one. You might try another receptacle (like one of your friends?) for the short term.