Apple's G5 Launch News

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Oh yeah.. I know how well THIS is going to go over with the majority of you guys, but I'm excited.

Apple Insider has details about Apple's upcoming G5 computers. Highlights include the IBM PPC 970 64-bit processor running on a HyperTransport bus, DDR400 support, and AGP 8X. Early adopters will get a coupon for a free upgrade to OS 10.3 when it comes out, since 10.2 is not 64-bit optimized.

I found the link on Ars Technica.

Comments

• edited June 2003
    If Apple made OS 10.3 x86 compatible I'd be excited but their hardware has never done too much for me in the last 4 years or so. They lag way too far behind in performance and upgradability compared to x86 machines.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Well, it all goes back to that "specific task" thing... I mean, the latest revisions of the G4 have been lagging behind in terms of overall performance, I'll grant you that. But when the G4 FIRST came out, when P3 and original Slot A Athlons were the hot thing, it was way ahead of the pack in terms of raw speed. I bet if folding had been around back then, the original G4/450s would have sizzled Athlon 700s or P3/850s.

I'm excited to see what a tightly coupled OS/64bitProc/Hypertransport mobo will do for the performance of the platform.
  • edited June 2003
    That's exactly what I mean; OS 10.3 and Opteron would have been more interesting to me than OS 10.3/PPC 970.:eek::ninja:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    We can only wish! There were so many rumors about opteron on apple.... Maybe one day.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    I think when the G4's arrived AMD had already intro' the Athlon Tbird 1000-1400 series. Notice how Apple NEVER compares their machine to a Athlon setup.
  • TobinTobin Philadelphia, PA
    edited June 2003
    I for one am very excited at the prospect of G5s soon. But I agree it would be cool to see OS X on an x86 platform.
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    ah... finally the infamous G5 ;D and i personally like os 10.1.5 and greater. its a nice piece of kit, even if it is a little slow at times, coulda just been themachine i was running it on too ;D
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited June 2003
    My last experience with an apple was with a pure POS emac. My P2 266 was at least two times faster than that piece of junk. However, this is for emac, my friend has a G4 powerbook that is really nice to play with.

For the G5, i can't wait to see the design, apple always makes pretty computers :).
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Omega65 said
    I think when the G4's arrived AMD had already intro' the Athlon Tbird 1000-1400 series. Notice how Apple NEVER compares their machine to a Athlon setup.

That might be because, like it or not, AMD is perceived by many as the budget alternative to Intel. We all know that less expensive does not mean inferior, but your average clueless computer shopper is likely to assume that Intel is better, else why would it cost so much more.

For Apple to compare their Mac's to AMD would be a no-win situation for them in the eyes of the general public.

If they beat AMD, the ignorant masses would just shrug and say "so what". If they lost, it would ruin whatever prestige Apple has left.

On a side note, I attended a Physicians dinner last Saturday night which featured several lengthy video and slideshow presentations run off of two Mac notebooks. The owners of the notebooks kept fritzing around with the settings, trying to get everything to look good. Anyone who still believes that Macs are idiot-proof should have seen it.

The vids were pretty cool, though.;)

Prof