best 2gb dual channel recommendation

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
I'd like the best dual channel 2gb available for a system I'm going to build.

I plan to use a dfi nforce4 ultra or sli with a 3800+ x2 or better.
I've read where they get that chip up to 2.7ghz but that was probably with 1gb.

I'd like to get as much bandwidth as possible and as tight timings as possible but I know things will need to be way loose.

Anyway ...Mac what can your recommend?

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2005
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Hi buddy,

The Gold 4000 at 250 and 3,4,4,8 timings gives practically the same fps and bandwidth as the platinum kit at PC3200 and 2,3,2,5 timings.
    However, most 4000 overclocks to 260 and 3,3,4,7 at least, some even to 3,3,3,7 which is a lot better.

I would suggest the PC4000 kit as they can clock higher which also means you have a bigger headroom for an overclock on a locked cpu. I use the FX cpu on the platinum kit as the cpu is unlocked and the X2 4400 cpu on the PC4000 kit.

When are you going to buy?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    You need to tell him where you can get one of those nice X2s that do 2.5 on stock voltage. Then again a friend of mine got one from a guy on [H] that does 2.5 with stock voltage as well and he loves it.
    edited September 2005
    I have a really old X2 and it isn't really a great clocker, 2.6 is no problem on quiet air.

The best X2 is the 3800 it seems. Although it has only 512kb cache, it clocks like hale.
    Monarch or Newegg seems to be the general choice for good clockers.
    edited September 2005
    [
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Hi buddy,

When are you going to buy?
    Well ...I want to buy soon but I wanted to be sure I didn't need to hold out for ddr2 ...I would think now that after listening to you I don't need ddr2.
    So answer is ...when should I buy? LOL

what multi is the x2 3800? 10?
    edited September 2005
    Yes it runs at 200x10 just like the 3200+ single core A64 chips with 512mb L2 cache.
    edited September 2005
    cool!
    ...and I like 2gb @ 260 2.8v idea ...and those timings are tight enough for me on 2gb as well.

Now I'm wondering if I should consider the an8-ultra. I mean if I don't need all of the high vdimms ...I'm just not sure how the rest of it compares to the lanparty.
    edited September 2005
    Now that I'm thinking about it ...I think I could be happy with 2.5gb on stock speed. What would be the tightest 2gb (2x1gb) stick with best bandwidth?
    Will the manchester x2 4000 make it to 2.5 with much effort?
    edited September 2005
    The Platinum 3200 would run ther tightest, but they won't do 250. Most newer boards have a ram upclock on the divider so overclocking the ram is very easy these days.
    edited September 2005
    Well ...after looking into it further I think I will stick with the 3800+ manchester and the pc4000 ram. To move up to toledo would drive the cost much higher than I want to go at this point;

Now I know that if I stuck to 1 gb ram I could run tight pc4000 times dual channel...or I could run cas3 with 2gb dual channel. So in your opinion which do you think would give the most returns? I'm not strictly gaming at all.

Can 4 sticks of vx 4000 512mb run dual channel @ 3.3v 2-2-2-8 250? I figured it was worth it to run it through you just in case ...I just thought the mobos didn't work that way.
    edited September 2005
    4 sticks very seldom do 250 together unfortunatly. I have 6 sticks here that does over 265, but 4 of them cannot pass 250 together stable.
    edited September 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    4 sticks very seldom do 250 together unfortunatly. I have 6 sticks here that does over 265, but 4 of them cannot pass 250 together stable.
    What if I relaxed the timings?
    See I'm thinking if I get 1gb now w/ 2-2-2-8 and later maybe match the same 1gb and run them looser. Do they still run dual channel even when running 4 sticks? If all 4 sticks run dual channel even at 3-3-3-8 I think I could be happy with that! Maybe I'm missing the concept or something? ;D
    edited September 2005
    That would work, but there is no point getting these sticks for that sort of timings. Those flash the best at 2,2,2,5. All 4 should do 230-240 at 2,2,2,5 which is plenty fast.
    edited September 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    That would work, but there is no point getting these sticks for that sort of timings. Those flash the best at 2,2,2,5. All 4 should do 230-240 at 2,2,2,5 which is plenty fast.
    Thanks Mac ...that is what I'll do. I'll get the dfi board, the x2 3800, the vx4000, the 7800gt and the v1000plus and later I'll add whatever I need. I have enough of the other equipment for now to get me started on this project and in the end I'll put my nfs2 w/ 3000/400 barton back together and sell it off.
    Thanks again!
    edited September 2005
    Hold your horses csimon.

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?cart_id=&Pagecode=SEARCH_ALL&Item_code=MEDD_OCZT_BG_V8&USER_ID

That's the newest 2GB kit out there. Nothing comes even close to it so far.

First run:

new2gbkit1.jpg

new2gbkit2.jpg

These things are so impressive.
    edited September 2005
    Is atacom the only place to get that stuff?
    edited September 2005
    So far, yes. The rest will come after pretty soon, but i have a feeling it will be more expensive then.
    edited October 2005
    Mac ...when do you see M2 coming to market? That's probably the biggest thing holding me back right now ...well that and the fact that I need to erect a new privacy fence in my backyard!!! LOL
    edited October 2005
    We won't see M2 for another 2 years at least i think. Amd is doing so well right now that it would be suicide to change the way the A64 works right now. The memorycontroller keeps getting better and better with DDR.
    edited October 2005
    I dont see a real reason for AMD to switch to DDR2 either.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    The M2 socket is due 1H 2006. Samsung reportedly is making more DDR2 than DDR now.

Change the socket, & memory and you sell more CPUs and motherboards....planned obsolescence
    edited October 2005
    The only reason Samsung is making more DDR2 than DDR is because of Dell and nothing else. I know that Samsung can live solely on Dell when it comes to ram, yes, Dell really buy that much. We are talking in excess of 20 million chips a month which is 10 times more than the rest of us manufacturers buy together from all the producers combined. S939 is a very solid cpu and it still have space for growing as well. Just look at the new Opteron S939..$220 for the exact same core as the FX57 is killing Intel big time. Amd sells twice as much as Intel here in Norway and it isn't because of DDR2.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    Still where 85% of the market goes AMD will have to follow. M2, Socket 1207 and DDR2 are coming to AMD in 2006.
    edited October 2005
    Still quite undecided about ram quantity I think I will order my case and psu this week since they may both come from the same vendor.
    I hope that the two will mate without any issues. I can live without the hdd racks that is no biggy.
    I'm thinking I may go 1gb tight timings now and when I upgrade to M2 I can go 2gb ddr2.
    edited October 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Hold your horses csimon.

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?cart_id=&Pagecode=SEARCH_ALL&Item_code=MEDD_OCZT_BG_V8&USER_ID

That's the newest 2GB kit out there. Nothing comes even close to it so far.

First run:

new2gbkit1.jpg

new2gbkit2.jpg

These things are so impressive.

Ok Mac I'm convinced!!! 2gb here I come!!!
    edited October 2005
    Awight Simon!

Let me know when you get the kit so we can tweak the last straw out of them.
    edited October 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Awight Simon!

Let me know when you get the kit so we can tweak the last straw out of them.
    Sure thing. I think I may upgrade to the toldeo core as well!
    edited October 2005
    I found this at overclockersonline regarding that ram ...all that on 2.7v
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    this is from anandtech

http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2560&p=7

3-3-2-7 at 1T
    edited November 2005
    http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?id=576 ...the price rise surely has given me second thoughts but I'm convinced that this is the very best kit for what I have in mind.