System freezes during OS loading!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just got in a newly RMA'd Abit VP6 motherboard and am trying to get it set up. New case, power supply, new CDRW / DVDRW combo drive, known good memory, good used video card, nothing extra is connected yet to minimize trouble spots, etc.

The hard drives "should" be good, they were sold as "tested good" units, but I have to set them up in my main computer for a little more testing now.

The P3 1000 Mhz processors I got for it haven't worked so far, so I'm loading it up with a 433 Celeron (Mendocino core) CPU. Didn't think a 433 would work in a board built for Coppermine core CPUs, but it does.

But initial attempts to load Windows 98 (will later upgrade to XP Pro) have been extremely frustrating. After trying 2 different CD drives and 2 different hard drives, the same thing always happens. It gets part way into the OS loading proceedure, then it locks up or freezes. And even on attempts to "restart" the OS load proceedure, it still freezes. This copy of 98 has worked very well in previous initial setup applications before the newer OS was installed.

I've been through about 6 attempts total, and end up in the same place every time -- not happy.

The motherboard initially gave repeating long beep memory errors with a single known good 256 MB memory stick, so I put in a different 128 MB stick and fixed that problem.

Any ideas here?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Try copying the Win98 CD directly to the HD, then install from there.

Have you run Memtest86 on the replacement RAM?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Can't run Memtest86, don't have any floppy drives.

I got it all working anyhow. I went to the Abit website on my main system, downloaded the Via 694 chipset drivers, then put the hard drive in my main system as the only hard drive, and loaded XP Home and installed the chipset drivers.

Once I had the hard drive back in the new computer (Abit VP6, dual P3 1 Ghz), it automaticaly detected about 20 things and installed it all by itself. Then I upgraded to XP Pro and got everything else in place.

So now it's working fine. :thumbsup: