Couple of DSL and router questions

gtghmgtghm New
edited September 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok, I just got QWEST DSL the 7meg, which is pretty good... I've never seen a speed test, test my connection out at 7 but I usually at least get 5 and most of the time I get close to 6....

So my questions are, I am having some issues with my computer and this connection that I am not used to having coming from a cable modem. One of the problems is that sometimes when I call up a page instead of opeing the website I ask for it to it trys to open the IP address of 1.0.0.0 and then it will not load any pages... Also I am noticing that I will be browsing and all of a sudden loose my connection and have to either re-connect my wireless connection or reboot the machine all togther...

I also have a question on the linking that I am doing with my network. I have the QWEST DSL modem, the ActionTec 701-wg, and a Linksys WRT54g (I think it is...) I have both set up as DHCP if that helps, I tried to only set one as DHCP but it seemed like all my computers on my network would not renew thier IPs correctly.... So my question is what is the best/fastest way to set this up... also if there is anyone out there that is using this same DSL modem and is on MSN Premium and have tweaked the modem and have seen actual DNL speeds increased with their tweaks would you kindly post your settings or suggestions that I can try?

Also if there is any tweaks that I need to do to my system/browser to better more efficently and smoothly handle this faster connection I would love to get some help with that, please?

Thanks,
"g"

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    for tweaks, go to dslreports.com
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Greg, what DSL type are you using..? PPoE or PPoA..?
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2005
    PPoA
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    heres a great tweak test here - http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks

I used it on my computer and got a lot better speeds by adjusting the TCP Receive Window. I simply downloaded Dr. TCP like the site said, and it worked great!
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2005
    Ok I went out and made a couple of changes as per the broadbandreports site but I still need some answers to the other questions.

I am especially having problems with pages loading properly and pages not loading at all. For example I was online looking a new Cell Phones, I made a couple of selections and then wanted to make some changes but when I ckicked on the link it would not load the page... hit the back button and it went back to the previous page just fine. from a page that would not load I migrated to my home page once but then it would not connect and I had to actually tell my connection to reconnect. Yes this is a wireless connection on a Laptop.

I have deleted all my on/off line content and the other normal stuff.
    I can't find a clear cashe option so I assume that by deleting all of the online stuff that actually clears the cache?

Thanks for the help.

"g"
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2005
    Still getting the 1.0.0.0 thing when opening a new page every so often.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    I'm not a network expert, nor do I have DSL, but I did have the WRT54G (I have the S version now).

I had another router (BEFSR81) attached to it at one point and the WRT54 would NOT be happy until it was the one assigned as the gateway. The BEFSR81 had to be set to router with DHCP disabled. Before I did that I would have dropped IP assignments and conflicting packets that would hard crash my client applications. My call to Linksys was no questions asked- I had to make the WRT54 in charge of the gateway.

Since I went to the "S" version, I simply setup the WRT54 as the gateway to my cable modem and put all my extra clients on a switch. So I don't know if they ever fixed that.

I don't know how this helps in your case, but I think the Linksys may be the stubborn bully in your system if you have both doing DHCP and the Linksys is not the gateway. It sounds to me that your setup is a good scenario for that. Until I found a work-around, the suggestion to me at the time was to find third party firmware (which I never did).

You might send this in to Linksys and see what they say.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2005
    Ugh, I hate networking....

I have a couple of bluetooth devices that I want to have all connected with my laptop and network, so I bought one of those Bluethooth dongles. I was running the install and wanted to go to the net to get the latest drivers and bam no connection... I went to one of my other computers on my network, connected via ethernet, and it would not connect either all it would do is try to connect to IP 1.0.0.0 so I called the QWEST DSL 24/7 tech line, which is the same place the Dell uses after 6:00 because I got some India or Pakastani on the phone, it was 10pm my time (PST), I knew I was not going to get all my needs met when she answered but I went with it... First she made me remove my DSL modem from my Linksys router because they can't support that... So while it irritated me I did so, I was not able to get to the net still so what she had me do was conigure an IP address with DNS under the TCP/IP settings on my adapter, well that worked but even she addmitted that the DNS's do change and that if I found that I could not connect I'd have to call back... Thats what botherd me was that I know its a Dymaic IP address and that it will change, so she kinda fixed it but was totaly satified to do the quick fix and get me off the line because I'm sure she's gotta know that I'll be calling back in a few days, or when ever the DNS's change...
    I pointed all this out to her but she said that if it did change and the initial problem had not fixed itself then they would have to look at the modem. They know that there is a problem with these Actiontech modems giving out 1.0.0.0 IP address and they won't/can't seem to fix it... You can't even get a non-wireless regular old DSL modem any more... Anyhoo, I am furstrated and even though I like the speed and the price is a few bucks cheeper I know that I have never had this or any issues with my Cable modem or connection.

So, now I can get to the net, at leat as far as I know, and I am trying to get my Cell Phone and my PDA to sync up or connect to my laptop and my network. So far I have had sucess with the laptop seeing the dveices and I can get my PDA to hotsync with it via the bluetooth connection but I can't get the phone to connect up so I can swap information to it and I can't get my PDA and my Phone to link either, infact I can't even get the PDA to recognize my phone.

Also, I know that my PDA can be wireless by buying the wireless sim card but can't I connect to my wireless laptop via the bluetooth and get to the internet through the laptops connection that way.

I'll be checking with my PDA's tech support for some help but if there is anyone out there that is connecting these varing devices to their networks and has experince with this stuff I could use the help please.

Thanks,
    "g"