SATA and IDE problems

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hello, I have posted messages on other forums but I still can't find the solution! Right this is my problem.

I have a Seagate 120GB ATA (IDE) hard disk, which I want to set on Primary Slave, and I have a DVD-RW which is ATA (IDE) which I want to set on Primary Master.
I installed windows on my SATA disk fine - [its NOT RAIDed - its just as a single IDE Third Master disk] (Western Digital 80GB sata) and I unplugged the seagate ide disk whilst I installed windows. My windows loads up correctly, but if I try to load up a disk in the drive, it freezes and restarts and then, when ever I try to connect the seagate 120GB ata disk back in, it gives me this message, and doesn't work atall:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ............
Boot from CD :

NVIDIA Boot Agent 205.0469
Copyright (C) 2001-2004 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

_

Here are some of my current BIOS settings:
1st Boot Device: CD-ROM
2nd Boot Device: Hard Disk
3rd Boot Device: Floppy
Boot Other Device: Enabled

Hard disk Boot Priority:
1st: SATA Disk (Western Digital)
2nd: ATA Disk (seagate)

Intergrated Peripherals > IDE Function Setup
IDE Prefetch Mode: Enabled
SATA1/SATA2 DMA Access: Enabled [I'm using SATA one]
SATA3/SATA4: Disabled
IDE DMA Transfer Acess: Enabled

Onboard Device:
RAID DISABLED
SATA1/SATA2: Enabled
SATA3/SATA4: Enabled

I have tried everything I can think of, any help would be highly appreciated!

Thank you.

Neil

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    Why would you want to put a optical drive on the same cable as a hard drive? Thats a terrible way to connect those devices. Set both to cable select and have them on the end of their own cable. You hurt your hard drives performance doing what your trying to do. You really don't want devices running at differant DMA levels on the same channel if at all possible. It causes problems a lot of the time and you slow to the speed of the slowest device when accessing both.

If you insist on continuing on the present course I would verify you have both jumpered correctly again and have the masters on the end of the cable. Try setting both the cdrom and hard drive to cable select.

Tex
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks for replying. I had tried that, also tried them one at a time - still no luck. Now I can't even get it to boot atall - even if there is NO ATA (IDE) devices connected - only the SATA!! Whats going on!? Do you think the mobo could be faulty?

Neil
    edited September 2005
    Leave just the cdrom on and the sata drive connected. Try clearing the bios and carefully reseting the boot options again. Its just got something screwed up in how its interpretting the boot order. I have had this happen a bunch of times over the years. Try putting the hard drive first in the boot sequence.

Your sure the sata drive is showing up properly ?

Tex
  • edited September 2005
    Right, I have connected the SATA up & the IDE Optical Drive, cleared the CMOS, changed the boot order to Hard Disk > floppy > CD ROM.
    Still no luck! It keeps saying:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ............
    Boot from CD :

NVIDIA Boot Agent 205.0469
    Copyright (C) 2001-2004 NVIDIA Corporation
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
    PXE-E61: Media test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2005
    Hi there neil_raid,

Did you ever solve this?

I find that the Hard Disk Boot Priority changes arround whenever I add or remove devices!
  • edited October 2005
    hartz wrote:
    Hi there neil_raid,

Did you ever solve this?

I find that the Hard Disk Boot Priority changes arround whenever I add or remove devices!

Hello, I did indeed. Basically I was connecting my IDE Documents hard disk & my CD-ROM drive Primary Master & Primary Slave. I found that if I connected my CD Rom to primary master, and my IDE hard disk to Secondary master, it worked fine.

I had that problem - boot order kept changing, I disabled RAID to - that helped.

Neil
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Sorry, nvm.
    edited October 2005
    hartz wrote:
    Hi there neil_raid,

Did you ever solve this?

depends on the MB/bios. I had a Intel dual xeon MB that drove me nuts because if I stuck in a friggin memory card in the 9n1 slot reader or attached a usb thumb drive or a usb cdrom etc... And booted it would shuffle all my boot drives and put it back to a ide drive as the boot and I was booting off a scsi raid controller.

I finally sold that SOB and never looked back.

Tex