Acer AL1913W LCD Monitor turns off regurlarly

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just bought a Acer AL1913W LCD Monitor from Newegg.com and I have been using it for 2 days and it now it turns off about every 10-20 minutes. It seems to go off faster the longer its on. I have to push the power button off then on again to get it working and repeat the process when it goes off again. Anything I can check on it before I send it back to Acer to get fixed? They gave me absolutely no help on the phone (waited 45 minutes to talk to someone), they just told me to send it back to be fixed.

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    Check the OSD settings for a standy options for powering down the monitor. The other thing to check would be windows power management for a video power down energy saving option.

On a side not, I have been having calls regarding lcd screens powering off for no reason. I have been finding that the power cables can loosen on some models and are not in a gravity friendly orientation...;)
  • edited September 2005
    I checked the windows power management and it is set to always on and turn off the monitor never.

It doesn't have an option for a standby option on the OSD. Ive tried typing and moving the mouse after it goes off and it doesnt change anything.

The LED light doesnt change colors either. It stays green which is the on color.

:scratch:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Can you test it on another computer? If it's doing the same thing there you may have gotten a dud. :(

I hope that's not the case, but at least it's better to find out early - while you still have a warranty.

Good luck. :)
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2005
    wwfmike wrote:
    It stays green which is the on color.

:scratch:
    In that case, you may need to return it as the issue is internal. If it was powering down, as you know, the amber color would appear. Having said that, I would also assume that you have verified that the cable is good and that no pins are bent or broken.
    Otherwise, it may be time to exercise your support options.
  • edited September 2005
    I have UPS picking up the package in the morning but I had an idea.

I have an Nvidia GeForce FX5700LE. I had it set at 1280x768 (something like that). Could it be that my video card isn't good enough or is that just a moot issue?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    wwfmike wrote:
    I have UPS picking up the package in the morning but I had an idea.

I have an Nvidia GeForce FX5700LE. I had it set at 1280x768 (something like that). Could it be that my video card isn't good enough or is that just a moot issue?

If you want to check that, you might try another monitor- maybe borrow a friends. Just make sure you use the same connection the AL1913W does. However, odds are it's the monitor.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    LCD monitors should always be run at their native resolution, but as Qeldroma said, it's likely to be the monitor. If it were just a poor Video card or a misapplied setting you might have a lousy picture, but you'd still have a picture - not just a blank screen.

Good luck with the replacement. :)
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks guys. I figured it wouldn't make a difference with the video card, I guess I was just trying to find any reason on my end not to send it back.

Oh well, Hopefully it will come back better then ever. I hope it doesn't take too long, GTA:SA was awesome in widescreen/ :D