Halo beta

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Gaming
I saw that Halo single player beta is all over the net. Anyone have the scoop? Good or bad is enough.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    1024x768, no AA, no aniso. Laggy...As...****.

Single player bad. Reserving judgement on multi.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    Beta sux. way too slow, Id just wait til the filnal release.

I hear the performance of the beta does not reflect that of the final version. I herd this of course from one of the developers so we will just have to wait and see.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thanks for the scoop. I´m eager to play this when it comes out though.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited September 2003
    I am not, I will stick to the xbox.
    edited September 2003
    If they can fix the performance, I'm never touching an xbox version of Halo again. The ability to use a mouse and keyboard, and NOT use an xbox is just wonderous.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said
    If they can fix the performance, I'm never touching an xbox version of Halo again. The ability to use a mouse and keyboard, and NOT use an xbox is just wonderous.

Agreed
  • RyThomRyThom Ypsilanti, MI
    edited September 2003
    I don't know. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed using the controller for Halo. Switching to a mouse/keyboard will make the game feel so different. I just thought Halo was paced just right for controller use.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    RyThom said
    I don't know. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed using the controller for Halo. Switching to a mouse/keyboard will make the game feel so different. I just thought Halo was paced just right for controller use.

Agreed. At first I thought that I was going to hate it, but it was done rather well, and I've gotten very good at it. I'll try the keyboard and mouse, but I'll prolly want to hook the controller up somehow :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said

Exactly. I bought an xbox, played 1\10 of halo, sold the xbox. Didn't like the pad, didn't like how I couldn't cofigure the pad, didn't like not being able to save the game when I wanted. If I can do these things on the PC version I might give it a try.

bothered.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited September 2003
    I like the controller.

What's the date for release?
    edited September 2003
    bothered said
    Thrax said

Exactly. I bought an xbox, played 1\10 of halo, sold the xbox. Didn't like the pad, didn't like how I couldn't cofigure the pad, didn't like not being able to save the game when I wanted. If I can do these things on the PC version I might give it a try.

bothered.

PC version saves every time you exit the game, and whenever you feel like it. I hate controllers. First Person Shooters were designed for keyboards and mice, and that is the manner they should remain. No controller on an FPS ever felt "Right." Goldeneye for the N64 was as close as it came, and even then it felt cumbersome and awkward to aim with.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said
    PC version saves every time you exit the game, and whenever you feel like it. I hate controllers. First Person Shooters were designed for keyboards and mice, and that is the manner they should remain. No controller on an FPS ever felt "Right." Goldeneye for the N64 was as close as it came, and even then it felt cumbersome and awkward to aim with. [/B]

First Person Shooters were originaly keyboard only. You didn't need the mouse for wolf or Doom. I didn't start useing the mouse for a FPS until Duke3D.

I can't stand useing a control pad.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Even with Duke3D you could use keyboard only. Remember looking up and down with the Page Up and Page Down buttons?

I think the first "FPS" type game that used mouse control was Descent, which actually came out before Duke3D.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    so has anyone gotten this "insert Halo CD2" error?
    edited September 2003
    Nope. :)
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    It's the first game I've ever tried to play that gave me the bsod in windows 2000 pro. That's on my amd/gf4 system, I have yet to try it on my P4/9700p system.

I just hope it works better on the retail one that I've preordered.