Asus A8N-Sli Nf4
EVGA 7800gt
Antec NeoPower 480watts
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
2 x 512mb Patriot xbl PC3200
Seagate 200gb SATA
Lite-on 8x dvd-rw
Sony CD-RW

i only have the mobo, cpu, ram, and video card in at the moment. when i turn it on, the fans all spin but nothing on the monitor. the led on the monitor stays orange. no beeps from the speaker on the mobo either, but it is installed correctly because if i try it with no ram i get beeps.

i do have the video card in the blue pci-e slot as instructed.

i can't find a single jumper on this board so i guess i dont have any of them wrong lol. except the CMOS one of course, which is correct. i have tried totally clearing the CMOS a couple times, no go :(

tried reseating the cpu, no go. also tried moving the ram around like a mofo but nothing. now i only have one stick in, still no go, regardless of which slot i put it in.

the green led on the mobo is on whenever the PSU is on.

help??

thanks in advance!!!!

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    I know this isn't what your looking for, but completely take the whole thing apart: I'm talking about taking the motherboard out of the case...everthing, and then re-assemble. and also put the vid card in the other pci-e slot of there is on, just try everything out.

And if possible the best way is to swap parts into a working pc. Put your ram in another pc to see if it works, cpu (if it has the same socket), or even try putting other parts on your motherboard.

stuff like this has happened to me before and i guess it was just some loose connections.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    make sure you have every power connector and optional and extra optional power connector attached. the DFI board has like 5 of them, that should fix your boot up problem
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    tmh88 gave you some good advice. I'd start with that. :)

I'm not that familiar with the Asus A8N-Sli Nf4 MB, but there is a possibilty it needs a recent BIOS to support the San Diego core. Unfortunately, to flash the BIOS you'll need to temporarily use an older CPU to perform the process. If nothing else works, see if you can beg, borrow, or steal an older-core CPU and flash to the latest BIOS release. Alternatively, you could order a pre-flashed BIOS chip for 10-15 bucks. An advantage of this is that you could keep the old chip as a spare.

There appear to be several versions of that board; I noticed that the latest BIOS for the Deluxe version of the board mentions support for newer CPU's. It's dated 8/10/05 and is release # 1013. Do you know what BIOS the MB came with?
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    edited September 2005
    Mizugori wrote:
    ...how do i tell what bios it has?
    Sometimes they'll put a little sticker somewhere on the board telling you what BIOS it shipped with. This is not all that common, though...

The only sure way to know is to look at the screen during the POST, which obviously isn't an option if you can't even get that far. :(
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    wait i do have a sticker. it says 1010 but i called asus and they said it should support revision E4 3700s. are there any other revisions??
    edited September 2005
    Mizugori wrote:
    wait i do have a sticker. it says 1010 but i called asus and they said it should support revision E4 3700s. are there any other revisions??
    profdlp wrote:
    ...There appear to be several versions of that board; I noticed that the latest BIOS for the Deluxe version of the board mentions support for newer CPU's. It's dated 8/10/05 and is release # 1013...
    You may be onto something. :)

I don't see BIOS 1010 on their website (click the BIOS tab on the link I gave you above), but BIOS version 1011 was released June 6th, which may be kind of old for a San Diego core cpu. Those didn't come out until around May (I think), meaning your current BIOS may well be the problem.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    ****. ok how can i fix this?? where could i borrow a working but slightly older socket 939 cpu? or how/where could i buy a new bios chip... and how do i install it? is it literally as simple as prying out the old one (with a special tool/s?) and popping in a new one?
  • edited September 2005
    I had the same problem a couple days ago... it turned out my CPU was bad! Do whatever you need to to swap it out with a different CPU and see if it works then. Otherwise your memory or MoBo in general could be bad. Hope this helps.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    "do whatever you need" ...like what though? if i have to rma the cpu to newegg i only have like 5 more days so i need to figure it out quick :(

the memory is fine i tested it in another motherboard. unfortunately i dont have access to another motherboard or cpu that are pci-e / socket 939
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited September 2005
    Quote from The Baron "make sure you have every power connector and optional and extra optional power connector attached. the DFI board has like 5 of them, that should fix your boot up problem" This same problem happened to my nephew, and it was one of the power connectors. Try what The Baron said.... :D:D:D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    before you do anyhting crazy! like they said abpve are Both power cabel connected to the board? sounds as if your board is working but it is missing something to get it going.

I have 2 of those Mobos and had issues the first time, but it was user error and not anyhting else.

Make sure you connect all of these power connections. everything will spin up and lights but the board wont post without the 4 prong atx connection in the top left. also run a power plug to the GRaphics card, just for the heck of it. I run it as it insures my GC is properly powered.... below is an image of what needs to be plugged in!
    ASUS.JPG 202.8K
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    got all three of those :(
    edited September 2005
    well your jumpers come set form the factory, so there is no reson to mess with those!
    edited September 2005
    your psu is a 12 pin , and has the pwer??? hmm....what could it be? are you able to post a image of your system so I can see how you have it set up?
  • edited September 2005
    did you try using a differnt monitor?
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    yeah no go. the power supply has 24 pins which is the same as the motherboard, and i tried a different motherboard. i dont have access to a digital camera...i called asus again and they claimed that after bios revision 1005 (i have 1010) the 3700+ was supported
  • edited October 2005
    Please tell me what these power connectors are as the manual is not clear on which need to be connected other than the obvious.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    gloriashm wrote:
    Please tell me what these power connectors are as the manual is not clear on which need to be connected other than the obvious.

Some high drain mainboards, like the DFI NF4 series use quite a bit of power, and the extra connectors help to stabalize things. I believe that with the DFI board, one of the 4-pin connectors also provides power when you flip the '+5V' memory jumper. I have also heard rumors that they are required to run SLI properly, but I'm not sure how much truth there is in that..

They should ALL be connected.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    Mizugori,

Pull out the cmost battery, and let the board sit for about 30 minutes like that. Re-insert.

Put only one stick of memory in the slot closest to the CPU socket, and try again..