Can any one recognise these symptoms?

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Yesterday my 2ghz laptop started running very slow. I did all the checks and found nothing. I restarted then my problems started.
a) I could not connect to the internet (application error couldnt find Homecall Broadband).
b) My drivers box in hardware was EMPTY.
c) The taskbar had gone white and larger.
d) My network connections page showed no connections at all.
e) The user page in task manager was blank.
f) I tried to create a new connection for Homecall but the option boxes were ghosted out except for create a permanent broad band connection.

AVG found nothing even in safe mode. Everything had been running fine for months before this. Only things downloaded were updates for yahoo and msn messenger. Im not an expert as I have never had problems in 4 years of using (so please explain in easy to understand language :)). I would be very grateful for your help. I am lucky as I do have a spare laptop.
Dave

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    From the sounds of it, I'm thinking SPYWare, but I have seen issues like this when Bad memory is in play, I would find away to check your memory.... You could be getting some system leakage which would be causing some of these issues. But it doesn't sound like a hd issue, It also could be the MOBO, But I wouldn't think that just yet.

has your system been running hotter than normal? are all fans working? that is usually the first thing I always check.
  • edited September 2005
    Hello
    All the fans seem to be fine. Ran Spybot and Adaware just before the problem started - after it started running slow. Only thing I can think of is Spybot warns before registry changes it asks if you want to allow or not allow changes. Sometimes it is hard to know what to do so I have just been pressing allow if I know the site and dont allow if im in any doubt.
    edited September 2005
    you must remember those programs will not always catch spyware!
    edited September 2005
    arte you able to backup the info on your computer? If so I would do that and Oull a reformat! I'm sure your computer will run better anyways once that happens. I try to clean my comps often, but they always find ways to gather junk programs or stupid things I don't even see of the net. Once ZI notice the tower running a bit slow, I reformat, it is usually the only way to rid yourself of any issues. But that is my opionion.
  • edited September 2005
    Well this is strange. Everything is now working perfectly fast and everythings back. Dont understand it. It was turned off for a couple of hours if that is anything to do with it. Oh well fingers crossed. At least I discovered a great site! Thanks for your help..
    Dave
    edited September 2005
    If it hasppenes again I will claim Memory Leak....let us know!
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    try memtest+ for the memory, (in the SM downloads section) but it sounds like an overheating problem. that's why letting it sit and cool off for a few hours seems to alleviate the problem.

there's a good article here at SM that talks about laptop cleaning...let me find it.

here you go...

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258

or check out this on on ghetto cooling your laptop...:thumbsup:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=294