I need help building system

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to computers but I want to build a new system--though my friend will be doing all the "building"--and I'm not sure what's good and what's not. I was going to pick the parts myself, but knowing me better than myself, my friends told me to get some advice so here I am.

First thing I want to get some advice on is whether an AMD or Pentium build is better. I'll mostly be using the computer for playing games, watching movies/videos, and a lot of downloading. One requirement I have is that I need to have 250GB at the very least on the computer. I've bought the LaCie 1TB external drive, Seagate 200GB external drive, and the WD Passport 80GB external drive for extra space, but I'm now contemplating on whether or not I should order another 1TB drive or 2TB even as I crawl closer to the 5GB remaining space line on my internal drive. But besides that, I'm open to any suggestions.

Oh, and my budget is somewhere between $2,500-3,000 (excluding costs for speakers, moniter, graphics card--in other words, I don't need help with these as I've already bought them) if anyone needs to know.

From there, if anyone could help me with the parts I should get it'd be A LOT of help.

Also, my friends mom (the friend who's going to be building the computer for me) is a ceo of some computer company, so he said he'd be building it in a factory kind of place or something....and also that the parts will be a little cheaper through him.

Anyways, if I can get help from anyone I'd appreciate it a lot and thanks in advance to those who reply.

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2005
    well, first of all what kind of video card do you have? is it pci-e or agp?
    edited September 2005
  • edited September 2005
    Video card? I'm actually not sure. I think he said he was looking into an 780 GT or X850? I'm not 100% sure so I'll edit this or post again when I get to talk to my friend.

Edit- Erm, what I suppose I should mention is that my friend is holding the speakers, monitor, and graphic card. He suggested which were best. I already gave him the money for the speakers and moniter but I couldn't make up my mind about the graphic cards yet, I didn't really think it'd matter which I chose since my friend assured me both were pretty good.
    edited September 2005
    Both of those are awesome video cards, all we need to know is if it is AGP or Pci-e!
  • edited September 2005
    Do they both come in AGP and PCI? If so, whoevers going to help me can choose whether it should be AGP or PCI. If not, I'll ask my friend if he specifically chose one type.
    edited September 2005
    The interface of the card is either Pci-e or AGP, Only one! :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    Friend says the radeon is AGP and the geforce is PCI
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    7800gtx only comes in PCIE as of now.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    You have 2500-3K to spend on just a motherboard, CPU, memory and a box to put it in?

Well, your options are wide open and this will invite a lot of opinions + advice and very soon you should be swimming in it if you can answer a couple of things. However, I would urge you to think through first what is required before you go out and buy what there is and you may come home with about $500 to a grand to spend on titles, videos, ??? and maybe a suggestion?

Games and videos -

We need to know what video card bus type you have (AGP or PCI Express) in order to determine a motherboard. Are you getting one- or two video cards to run in dual? But FYI a high end PCI Express, NForce4, SLI motherboard is about $200.

The AMD FX is a fine processor- but you might think of this as well for ~$400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529
    (Intel is also a fine processor, but I prefer AMD.)

I'm afraid you are out of luck in the consumer market to land 250GB of memory on a motherboard (did you mean internal Hard disk maybe?). High end is 4GB to 8GB. This is more than you need for today's games -

Playing Battlefield 2? - 2 GB of memory PC3200. $2-300.

Nice case (this one I'll leave up to you)? and Power Supply Unit (PSU) - Antec 480W or better - $2-300

Though you are a gamer, there may be no need to overclock (depending on what video card(s) you have). You're new - give yourself a chance to absorb what's here.

Now :: he says as he brings out his best salesman smile :: perhaps I could talk you into spending the money you just saved into a folding system? :D

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29803

At any rate - have fun with this!
    edited September 2005
    I was kiddin about the fx, maybe he should consider a dual core!