Nvidia 6600gt vs 6800gt or 7800gt

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi guys,

I'm using nvidia 6600gt extreme gamers edition PCI-e for some months, but sometimes it is slugish. I thought that this card could handle anything but i'm wrong. I downloaded 3dmark 2005 and on the most gametests i had only 20 frames and it was very slowly for me. And sometimes only 7 frames. I thought that i would get higher framerates with this card. lol

Doom 3 works nice on high quality and i get 60FPS, but when i'm shooting or looking down and up it drops to 20/30 frames.
Far cry works fine too, but i can't enable anti alisting, cos it slows down the whole game.
Quake 3 works fine i get 90 FPS the whole time even on multiplayer mode.
Half life 2 works fine, but i do have slowdown, i have to change the settings so i can get higher FPS.

I think this card is good, but with some games i need to using medium settings. I really thought that this card was ready for the new generation games, but it can't handle them on the highest settings. And i want the best graphics on my screen to enjoy the game the way it's ment to be played.

Could it be that the Vram is too low to handle (128mb gdd3) Or is it the memory bandwidth? This card has 16gb. The basic memory is good (510) and memory speed clock 1100mhz.

I'm thinking to get a 6800gt or maybe a 7800gt card. Which card should i get? And is the Vram important or is 128mb enough. I'm allways using 1024x768 resolution. By the way i'm not a fan of ATI. And is 450 W enought for those cards?????

My computer:

Intel pentium 4 3.2Ghz HT
1024Mb ddram PC3200
Nvidia 6600GT Extreme gamers edition
450W power supply

Comments

• edited October 2005
    I am running Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT OC 256 4xAGP by BFG.

I have noticed similar issues in my games where I thought the frame rates would increase but have done little even with overclocking. Check my thread to see if information in it helps you.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    yes that power is good, a 6800GT or even a 7800GT will pump out awesome grpahics for you for the years to come. But I have to say My LeadTek 6600GT TDH Extremes ran perfect on all games I played....
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2005
    I have a Leadtek 6800GT and am very happy with it. I have all the games you mentioned and they are all maxed out with AA on 4x. Do you think it might be something you have running in the background? I heard the 6600GT was a very good card. I would try turning off all background running programs. Hit your alt ctrl delete and see how many things are running. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    Upgrading from a 6600 to a 6800 wouldnt be worth the money. Wait till the new ATI cards start shipping and see if it drives down the price of the 7800 if you feel the need to stay with an nvidia card.

The X1600s are supposed to be where its at for bang for buck...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    yes that power is good, a 6800GT or even a 7800GT will pump out awesome grpahics for you for the years to come.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Usually 2 years is the limit before some game comes along that totally pwns your video card. My 9800 pro is still stretching out and playing most current games, but the new generation of HDR games like F.E.A.R and HL2:Lost Coast are really making my card show its age.

I buy for two years in the future, and I never buy top of the line. I always go for just under top of the line - you spend a lot less and get almost the best card.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    rapture-IC wrote:
    Upgrading from a 6600 to a 6800 wouldnt be worth the money. Wait till the new ATI cards start shipping and see if it drives down the price of the 7800 if you feel the need to stay with an nvidia card.

The X1600s are supposed to be where its at for bang for buck...

ATI ;D funny, The games your talking about farcry hl2 all the games out atm a 6800gt will run them flawlessly at mid to high settings, but when your start to talk about BF2 and games comming out in the next year are gunna slow it down a bit. your gunna be seeing games on the unreal3 engine in the next 2 years, ut2k7 wahooo, and your not gunna be getting to see that game in all its magesty on a 6800gt. imo get a 7800gtx... or 2 :D
  • edited October 2005
    Im only loyal to my wallet, I will happily buy from Nvida or ATI if the price/performance is right. Radeons run ok if you use Omega drivers.

My 2 main machines are running with a 6800GT and a Radeon 9600 Pro right now.

The point I was trying to make though is the 7800s may drop in price over the next couple of weeks.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I figure my 6600gt will be good till next summer
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I'm still using a Geforce 6200, runs all my games just fine. I'm not skimping out on the settings either, though I will admit I modded it...
  • triliniumtrilinium Auckland, New Zealand!
    edited October 2005
    Ok, what ud look for is a card like the 7800GT with 256MB VRAM and try if u can to get it faster dan a ghz. For da 6800GT card dat I have I only have a carp old 350W PSU - I really shld upgrade bt neway 450W is fine.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    trilinium wrote:
    Ok, what ud look for is a card like the 7800GT with 256MB VRAM and try if u can to get it faster dan a ghz. For da 6800GT card dat I have I only have a carp old 350W PSU - I really shld upgrade bt neway 450W is fine.

Brother, no offence but please at least try to spell correctly.

On the topic at hand though; herman22j, I think it's just that you need to tweak the settings more. I mean if I could run a game well enough on my other system I had with the 6200, then that 6600GT should do more than well enough. Sometimes the high settings aren't all that much different from medium settings in terms of noticable "eye candy".

For example... I usually don't even have AA on if I am running anything more than 1280x1024(my monitor's native resolution). But I do have AF running near max if not maxed, generally either Trilinear or AF16x. Taking Battlefield 2 as an example, I have it set to medium quality settings, changing only the resolution and view distance to my preferred limits. In BF2 I generally do have my AA at 2x though since it seems to run just fine with it, but I did that setting last after finding my sweet spot. It takes time to figure out the sweet spot.

Half Life 2 I run maxed out, minus AA at 1280x1024. Runs great, I think I do/did have AA on though, but not maxed.

Just hope I can save someone some money :thumbsup: Today my bank account hit $27(ouch) due to bills and me upgrading to a 6600GT as my new motherboard doesn't support some AGP Video Cards very well. It's the ASRock SATA2 MB FYI.