Blue Screen of Death

edited September 2005 in Hardware
:bawling: Can someone cleverer than I (not hard) throw me a life line please?
Problems started with removing Norton Anti Virus 2003 (updated with 12 months subscription) same again with Norton Firewall. Installed 2005 versions of both from new CD's - 5 minutes later - BLUE SCREEN of death, followed by repeated rebooting every 2 to 3 minutes - over and over!

with the following message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_MORE
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If the screen appears again, follow these steps.
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If the problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or sftware. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
*** Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x0000002A, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0xF8458AFB)
*** si3112r.sys - Address F8458AFB base at F8451000, DateStamp 3ed7e3b9

My son tried unistalling the rogue programs (could not), several restore points (made no difference) and eventually in frustration has been in contact with Symantec tech support - lots of calls, time and £48 later, removed some assorted spy ware, also completed several system scans using assorted programs - system is now all squeaky clean! Completely removed 2003 and 2005 antivirus & Firewall - piece by piece. They (Symantec) have now advised contact with MS for next step, suggesting some sort of repair to parts of MS operating system (XP Professional).

We have tried reinstalling 2005 firewall and guess what - BLUE SCREEN of death again, followed by repeated rebooting every 2 to 3 minutes. Repeated earlier steps to point of PC working 'A okay' but cannot install either of the new norton programs! Dare not connect the problem PC to internet as we have zero protection.

We are both getting very, very frustrated with the problem, please, please take pity on an old man and his young padiwan learner :confused:

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    Can you get into Safe Mode? Generally that Blue screen has to do with a corrupted/maybe missing driver. If you can, try uninstalling your video driver first and reboot. Do not do the auto-install it prompts you for when you first get into Windows. Install a freshly downloaded version or what is on your original CD.

If not, it could be bad memory. Run Memtest -

http://www.memtest.org/

If not that, I'd try a Windows repair unless someone has a better idea.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    The file si3112r.sys is part of the Silicon Image SATA/Raid Driver Installation. I'd suggest trying what Qeldroma said about getting into Safe Mode, then reinstall the drivers for it there.

Memtest is always an excellent idea.

Good luck. :)
  • edited September 2005
    OK, thanks a bunch both of you - i'll go try this now. :thumbsup:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited September 2005
    Do yourself a favor and do not use norton 2005. Quite a few friends of mine had nothing but trouble after installing norton 2005. Get a good free anti virus like AVG... :cool::cool:
  • edited September 2005
    2 questions:

1 - How is 'memtest' used? (profdlp)

2 - I've heard people complain that since AVG is free, it has some exploits in it, allowing it to be shut off by other people. :scratch:
    Is this true or just a case of someone being unfortunate?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    ...How is 'memtest' used?
    Extract the files to a new folder on your HD. Stick a disk in the floppy drive, double-click the file "Install.bat" and follow the directions to make the bootable floppy. Leave the disk in the floppy drive and set the floppy as your first boot device. The program will start automatically when you reboot. If you get any errors you have bad RAM. If that happens and you have more than one stick of memory, test each one individually.
    I've heard people complain that since AVG is free, it has some exploits in it, allowing it to be shut off by other people...
    I've been using it on multiple computers for a couple of years. Any AV program is theoretically susceptible to vulnerabilites, but I'd trust AVG as much as any. Throw in the fact that it's a whole lot easier on your system resource usage than the big-name programs (Norton, McAfee, etc) and it's a winner in my book. :)
  • edited September 2005
    Ok, this Program is more trouble than its worth. i'll give it a go.

once again, thanks for your help.