So if I want to change my sound card...

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hello all,

I just got my new machine last week, a good one IMHO :

- Antec Sonata II with lots of fans ;)
- Athlon 64 3000+
- Asus A8N-E
- 1 GB DDR400 Corsair XMS TwinX, DualChannel
- 2 * 80 GB SATA Seagate 7200.7 drives in a RAID 0 configuration (and other IDE drivers of no importance)
- Asus Radeon X800XL, PCI-E

However, I'm starting to think that the onboard audio is crap. I'm the average Joe who likes to play games and listen to music with good quality and I want to get a new sound card.

SO, my question is : what is the best bang for the buck right now ?

I was thinking about an OEM Audigy 2 ZS for about 75 canadian bucks. A friend of mine told me to wait and get a Sound Blaster X-fi, but what for ?

What you think 'bout that ?

BTW, sorry if my thread is redundant. Also, my english sucks.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Well if you have a killer surround sound system then getting a Sound card like that will benefit you. If you have the average Joe schmo Speakers, than don't even bother wasting the money.... but I bought a Audigy 2 ZS and it works fine on my 5.1 surround... but not much different form my onboard sound, just gives me more options to Tweak my sound :)
  • edited September 2005
    Interesting.

I have a Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers set. D'you think it will benefit from the use of a new sound card ?

My reasons for changing the sound card are :

- America's Army dislikes my sound card. Lots of... let's say, « screeching »

- I want to decrease the CPU usage for sound processing to the minimum possible

Is a 70 bucks sound card a good investment ?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I picked miine up for $45 USD shipped about a month ago :) so if in Canadian money thats about the same I would say yes....
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Sound processing doesnt use a whole lot of processor. some but nothing relevant. all your looking for is the options and margianally better sound.