Battlefield 2

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Gaming
Hmmm...

Ok, so I went out and bought Battlefield 2 (I really hate paying full price for games) but was dissapointed when for single player it had virtually no more than the demo did! (the same, just with a few more maps). You can't configure any of the options, map sizes or anything, so Single Player just consists of a Skirmish on a few different maps with preset settings that you can't even change! And here was me thinking there would be a game in there somewhere. Grrr. Anyway (before anyone says anything, yes, I know you can manually edit the config files to add more bots or download haks for bigger maps, but both invalidate the game so you can't play online and the bots dont use the bigger maps properly).

So, I start playing online and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be (3 year olds running around spastically killing everyone including their own team while shouting "omg yuo nub lololol"... although actually it was pretty much that... just without the team killing.... as much).

So anyway, with my super uber connection my ping is ~14 to different servers, peaking around 18 or so at a bad time, but one thing is REALLY bugging me. Say I'm shooting someone and they fire back, if I move behind something (say I drop down behind a wall) then most of the time I will still die as if they hit me, I ducked, then I died, i.e. me being somewhere where I'm not anymore. Which kinda sucks. Trying to fire from the turret of a chopper or tank can be a nightmare too, sometimes it seems like the tank or whatever has gone into an epileptic fit and starts spasming.

So yeah, not too impressed. Seems to be f-all teamwork (been playing all day on lots of different servers), lots of "omg rofl wtf lol bbq" speak all the time and I keep dying when technically it shouldn't be possible. Another thing that was driving me insane was that I'd die so many times within 2 seconds of spawning, sometimes less. I'd appear then get shot, or hit by artillery or hit by a truck, etc etc.

Even with that excluded I still seem to be dying too much, pretty much a 1:1 ratio with my kills, maybe I'm just used to dumb AI, or maybe I just suck...

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2005
    I have to disagree. I love the game, and for the number of people on a server, the lag is relatively low.

I have experienced the choppy vehicle issue, but usually only if a laggy player is in my vehicle. And I always call them on it.

I usually have a blast with teamwork and here is why. Find a friend (or friends) that plays, and get on the same squad. Its especially fun on a teamspeak server. With several good players that dont f***tard too much, a squad can pretty much pwn the entire server.

I would be happy to squad up with ya sometime.

I actually look for clans to squad up with. I dont have time to be in a clan, but I find playing with serious clansters makes the game much more enjoyable.

Give it a try!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Was playing again today, lots of the games just seemed to be retards messing about and NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH... which is a tad annoying (those that do only seem to be capable of tard-speak). So yeah, need to find some good people to play with...
    edited September 2005
    Ok, the game has officially gone from mildly annoying to pain infuriating.

Was playing in a game earlier and there were two guys stood in the road who just killed the guy behind me. I fired an M203 and hit the one guy square in the face but no, thats not enough to kill the one next to him, hell, it's not even enough to kill him. Thats right, an M203, detonated ON HIS FACE and didn't kill either of them. Seriously WTF.

Later on I was firing at someone (they were lying down facing me) and I hit him about 8 times (and I KNOW I hit him because it kept doing that twitch thing they do when you hit them) so not only did I hit him in the head repeatedly, I hit him with 8 rounds.... but noooo, I die and he's fine.

Seriously, this game is just pissing me off. It's like fighting godmode bots on Unreal Tournament... and they have godmode.
    edited October 2005
    Does anyone here have the Basic Repair badge? I have tried to get it (you need 5 repair points) but I just can't get it. The most repair points I have ever managed to get in a game was 3 I think, and every time I've spent the entire round trying to just repair, but it seems to need to do so much that it's damn near impossible :(
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    You might wanna try playing with some buds of mine.

http://www.claninexile.com

Go there, you can find some information about the TeamSpeak server. I've gamed with them since 1999, a bunch of good guys trying to find other good fun guys and/or gals to game with. Not an actual clan, just a group of guys having fun so you can join us if you'd like, lots of others play with us.
    edited October 2005
    RWB wrote:
    You might wanna try playing with some buds of mine.

http://www.claninexile.com

Go there, you can find some information about the TeamSpeak server. I've gamed with them since 1999, a bunch of good guys trying to find other good fun guys and/or gals to game with. Not an actual clan, just a group of guys having fun so you can join us if you'd like, lots of others play with us.

Issue there is that they are all in the US so are likely to be playing on US servers. I'm in the UK so if I play on their servers my ping is going to be a lot higher (150 as opposed to 14).
  • edited October 2005
    What servers are you playing on? Random ones each time or certain ones?
    The Multiplay.co.uk servers are always good, try those next time you play.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited October 2005
    For Battlefield 2 there are a few things. First, if you are interested in points and unlocking weapons play on only ranked servers. Also, if you are looking for teamwork join a squad and when you select a spawn point choose your squad leader (the dot will be green instead of white). If after a few minutes you notice no one on your squad is sticking together, choose another squad. Usually you can at least find a few that do stick together and help each other out. Lastly, BF2 can't really be played as CS or UT2k4. You get many more points playing as a team and helping out your teammates (medic, ammo, repair, capturing flags, etc.). Finally, sniping is extremely hard in this game. Especially at distance. Expect to miss almost every shot. :( If you are going to fly anything, get a joystick. It's much easier and gives you more control in helicopters and the especially the planes. Bind the hat switch on the joystick to different vehicle views. Once you get comfortable with it, you can the view looking forward at the nose of the jet to see when enemy jets are on your tail or the missile lock is from AA on the ground. It also helps you to time when you need to swerve to avoid a missile.

Some fun tips:

- One anti-tank missile will blow up a jet. The best thing to do is hide along a runway and wait for someone to jump and try to hit him with an AT missile when he is first starting the engines or is going down the runway.

- Placing a bunch of C4 in a bush or just hidden along a road, insurgent style, can be very effective at stopping the enemy from using a road. Once you get them once and they don't know what killed them, they usually find a different route.

- Two AT missiles can usually bring down a blackhawk helicopter if they have no engineer in there to repair it.

- It's very hard to hit someone with a missile in air-to-air combat when they are turning. So if you want to avoid a missile just keep making big turns. It works for stingers too but not as well.

- Anti-tank mines are fun to place 1/3 of the the way down the on the airstrip from the hanger, just make sure you wait and watch... it's hilarious. Also, try placing a couple spanning the with of the runways. I've seen pilots notice them at the last second, try to swerve only to hit another one I've placed.

- If you can do it, place C4 under a wing or in the back engine of a jet or helicopter. Hide and wait until someone jumps in and let them take off and fly for awhile, then hit the trigger. They will explode in mid-air and have no idea how they died. You can blow up jets across the map if you have C4 on it. It's also great when they pack a helicopter with 5 people and you blow it out of the air.

- When dropping bombs, they will land approx. where the center of the gun site on the HUD is. It's also very useful to be able to change views in the jet to see where your bombs land. Practice bombing a lot offline to get a feel for it.

- Swooping down in a jet and using your guns is really effective at taking out people, boats, and jeeps. It is also effective at taking out anything else like an APC, tank, or the AA guns on the battleship.

- It's hard to do, but if you switch to bombs and follow an enemy plane you can use your main guns on him instead of your missiles and since you have your bombs activated he won't hear missile lock and a lot of the time will have no idea where he's being shot from. A joystick also comes in handy here to when you bind your thumb button to change from missiles to bombs.

It's hard to say how important joysticks are if you are flying an airplane or helicopter. Once you master it, you can be a very very good pilot. Flying them with a keyboard and mouse is very limiting compared to a joystick. I have the Logitech Cordless Freedom 2.4GHz joystick. It's one of the most expensive, but I love it. There is also an almost identical version that has a cord which is a lot cheaper.
  • edited October 2005
    I am the only BF2 professional here.

Please refrain from any comments, questions only plz:

First off bud you need 2Gb of memory to actually enjoy BF2, until then you will lag to ****.

Also, the getting killed after you duck has always been a part of the battlefield series.

Until you're fully down, a shot may kill you.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    djstubbs wrote:

First off bud you need 2Gb of memory to actually enjoy BF2, until then you will lag to ****.

Also, the getting killed after you duck has always been a part of the battlefield series.

Excuse me? :scratch:

I'm not going to get into most of this, but I can say that I have 1GB of memory and it runs perfectly fine on my measly little system.
    edited October 2005
    rapture-IC wrote:
    What servers are you playing on? Random ones each time or certain ones?
    The Multiplay.co.uk servers are always good, try those next time you play.

I play on those a bit, to be honest I've played on most servers, it's just the same sort of people that get to me though. Those that camp points but not capture them, those that sit by a plane or something all day (on your team) and if you ever get in it they park a car in the way or shoot you, etc etc. Nobs basically.
    Nosferatu wrote:
    For Battlefield 2 there are a few things. First, if you are interested in points and unlocking weapons play on only ranked servers. Also, if you are looking for teamwork join a squad and when you select a spawn point choose your squad leader (the dot will be green instead of white). If after a few minutes you notice no one on your squad is sticking together, choose another squad. Usually you can at least find a few that do stick together and help each other out. Lastly, BF2 can't really be played as CS or UT2k4. You get many more points playing as a team and helping out your teammates (medic, ammo, repair, capturing flags, etc.). Finally, sniping is extremely hard in this game. Especially at distance. Expect to miss almost every shot. :( If you are going to fly anything, get a joystick. It's much easier and gives you more control in helicopters and the especially the planes. Bind the hat switch on the joystick to different vehicle views. Once you get comfortable with it, you can the view looking forward at the nose of the jet to see when enemy jets are on your tail or the missile lock is from AA on the ground. It also helps you to time when you need to swerve to avoid a missile.

Some fun tips:

- One anti-tank missile will blow up a jet. The best thing to do is hide along a runway and wait for someone to jump and try to hit him with an AT missile when he is first starting the engines or is going down the runway.

- Placing a bunch of C4 in a bush or just hidden along a road, insurgent style, can be very effective at stopping the enemy from using a road. Once you get them once and they don't know what killed them, they usually find a different route.

- Two AT missiles can usually bring down a blackhawk helicopter if they have no engineer in there to repair it.

- It's very hard to hit someone with a missile in air-to-air combat when they are turning. So if you want to avoid a missile just keep making big turns. It works for stingers too but not as well.

- Anti-tank mines are fun to place 1/3 of the the way down the on the airstrip from the hanger, just make sure you wait and watch... it's hilarious. Also, try placing a couple spanning the with of the runways. I've seen pilots notice them at the last second, try to swerve only to hit another one I've placed.

- If you can do it, place C4 under a wing or in the back engine of a jet or helicopter. Hide and wait until someone jumps in and let them take off and fly for awhile, then hit the trigger. They will explode in mid-air and have no idea how they died. You can blow up jets across the map if you have C4 on it. It's also great when they pack a helicopter with 5 people and you blow it out of the air.

- When dropping bombs, they will land approx. where the center of the gun site on the HUD is. It's also very useful to be able to change views in the jet to see where your bombs land. Practice bombing a lot offline to get a feel for it.

- Swooping down in a jet and using your guns is really effective at taking out people, boats, and jeeps. It is also effective at taking out anything else like an APC, tank, or the AA guns on the battleship.

- It's hard to do, but if you switch to bombs and follow an enemy plane you can use your main guns on him instead of your missiles and since you have your bombs activated he won't hear missile lock and a lot of the time will have no idea where he's being shot from. A joystick also comes in handy here to when you bind your thumb button to change from missiles to bombs.

It's hard to say how important joysticks are if you are flying an airplane or helicopter. Once you master it, you can be a very very good pilot. Flying them with a keyboard and mouse is very limiting compared to a joystick. I have the Logitech Cordless Freedom 2.4GHz joystick. It's one of the most expensive, but I love it. There is also an almost identical version that has a cord which is a lot cheaper.

I'm aware of pretty much all of those things really, except for the mine on the runway thing... I'll have to try that one, heh. I tried using my joystick earlier, but the rudder and yaw are both inverted which made it damn near impossible to fly.
    djstubbs wrote:

No, you wont lag at all if you use Medium settings and have 1GB of RAM. Large maps will lag on a 1GB system on high graphics, but all maps are fine if you use medium settings and have only 1GB of RAM.

Battlefield "Professional" eh? Care to explain why you're on EAs exploiter list?

Anyway...
    I'm not exactly inexperienced: http://bf2s.com/player/Enverex/
    Just not up on certain tactics.
  • edited October 2005
    EA's exploiter list???

LOL...

I play in CAL, 3rd round playoffs.

Also lol at your kd/r....

http://bf2s.com/player/djstubbs/

You have a 1:1 kd/r...., mine is about 2/1.

sig5.png
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    oh brother :rolleyes:
    edited October 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    EA's exploiter list???

LOL...

I play in CAL, 3rd round playoffs.

Also lol at your kd/r....

http://bf2s.com/player/djstubbs/

You have a 1:1 kd/r...., mine is about 2/1.

sig5.png

Ok, firstly I don't try simply to get as many kills as possible, I do lots of things based on teamwork. Second, I've not played BF1942 or any of the others, this is the first game of this type I've played and went straight online after the demo. Third, I posted that link to show that I didn't start playing yesterday with no idea what I was doing, I wasn't comparing penis sizes, jackass.
  • edited October 2005
    oh brother :rolleyes:

did it to get a rise out of him, i don't actually care about rank that much.

if i read what i had posted from someone else i would've said the same thing.

i will say that i do play competitively and have played all 3 games in the bf series.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited October 2005
    Enverex, do you have a logitech joystick? If so Logitech has a program called "Logitech Profiler" that allows you to invert controls on your joystick which would fix your rudder & yaw problem. I had to use it for my joystick when I was using the 32-bit drivers, but the issue was fixed in the 64-bit drivers.
    edited October 2005
    Nosferatu wrote:
    Enverex, do you have a logitech joystick? If so Logitech has a program called "Logitech Profiler" that allows you to invert controls on your joystick which would fix your rudder & yaw problem. I had to use it for my joystick when I was using the 32-bit drivers, but the issue was fixed in the 64-bit drivers.

No, I'm using my old MS Force Feedback Pro (which hasn't had actual supported drivers since Win98 :( )
  • edited October 2005
    my friends play bf2, all the time, plus counterstrike and mohaa. i am a forum community member and they are recruiting. i think the servers r n canada. it is a US and canada mix. but u r welcome, (along w/ any1 interested) to join and try it out. it is www.nemesisgaming.com if you join the forum they can give you the ip's just ask. an outgoing bunch of folks and always looking for non hackers who actually play the game.
    edited October 2005
    People in the US and Canada are useless, as are people in Austrailia and Japan due to timezone differences. Not really likely to go with people that play CS though as I'm more of a sim person, not... "that" genre.
  • edited October 2005
    now as far as timezone difference. 1 member only takes care of servers and plays (he doesnt need to work so this is his work) 2 members that are always on work nights here, and i work days, like abt half of the other members. there is always some1 on. if that is your concern it shouldnt be to bad. i have yet to find the servers empty. but also they have other games as well, guild wars, mohaa, cs:s and 1.6, kal online, and day of defeat. but then again if you arent interested thats cool to. just extending the offer and welcome.
  • edited October 2005
    I think the Multiplay servers are the best for UK players. Try and find some of the clan operated ones as they usually have active admins around... Cant say I really have that many problems (if any) with cheats or general idiots. I do quite regularly get the **** kicked out of me though :P Need a LOT more practise...
    edited October 2005
    Yay, got lots more badges and ribbons now, heh. Yeah, I normally end up playing on the multiplay servers, I'll see if I can find some "clanners".
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    LOL I would own you in BF2,

My kill ratio is 20/1 buhhaaaahahahaha what now Sucker punk ...

lol! I love these forums

IM driving the tank! and you.>>>..??? lets just leave it at that!
    edited October 2005
    Well, assuming you weren't being a complete twat and were joking... it wasn't funny. If you were being a twat: http://bf2s.com/player/43538195/ . You have 189 kills and 311 deaths. Thats a KD of 0.61 with a total score of 466 (Private FC) with already 23 teamkills.

I have 3099 kills, 2454 deaths (1.26 KD ratio) and a total score of 8563 (Gunnery Sergeant) and only 54 TKs (of which only 5 or less were my fault) as well as my assorted collection of badges and ribbons
    awards.jpg
    Plus 16 Gold, 16 Silver and 11 Bronze stars.

That and your first sentence didn't even make any sense.
    edited October 2005
    lol... thats funny, and it was a joke...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    BF2 no longer works for me after the patch :( The splash screen comes up, then I crash to desktop.
    edited October 2005
    that sucks!
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    I played BF2 for the first time in a while after they patched it last week. It was kind of fun to get back in the game and I will admit that the interface is getting a little better. Emphasis on a little better. It is still very clunky and I've ran into a problem.

When I logged on the game told me that I had adchieved the new rank of Lance Corporal and that a new weapon unlock was available. The kit I primarily use in BF2 is medic so I wanted to unlock the new medic weapon. Unfortunatly the weapon unlock screen doesn't tell you which kit each gun goes with so I hit the "Unlock Later" option. That way I could go see which weapon I needed for the medic kit. Well after figuring out which weapon I want to unlock I can't find an option anywhere to get back to the weapon unlock screen. Am I just straight up overlooking one of the buttons or is there some trick to this I can't see?

Norge
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited October 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Well, assuming you weren't being a complete twat and were joking... it wasn't funny. If you were being a twat: http://bf2s.com/player/43538195/ . You have 189 kills and 311 deaths. Thats a KD of 0.61 with a total score of 466 (Private FC) with already 23 teamkills.

I have 3099 kills, 2454 deaths (1.26 KD ratio) and a total score of 8563 (Gunnery Sergeant) and only 54 TKs (of which only 5 or less were my fault) as well as my assorted collection of badges and ribbons
    awards.jpg
    Plus 16 Gold, 16 Silver and 11 Bronze stars.

That and your first sentence didn't even make any sense.

http://bf2s.com/player/BSD.NAME/

Ive put some time into this game. you are across the pond and probably asleep when we play, or I suggest you play with us BSD, we have a ventrillo server and we pwn out on most servers we play on. We play 8v8 twl.

23 gold
    40+ silver and Bronze
    Veteran in 4 catagories and should have the rest by monday
    I have all unlocks but the engineer jackhammer.

sig.png
    sig5.png
    awards.jpg
    edited October 2005
    Hey Gobbles

I would love to find a group of guys to play with on BF2, Is there any way I could join up with you guys csome time for some awesome gaming! I mean you dont live all that far form me :)