Random losses of internet connection

alright here is the situation and it is really getting frustrating since I cannot find out what the problem is.

I installed Battlefield 2 and played it supurbly for about 3 days and then I lost my internet connection. But this is the weird thing about it. I looked at my modem and all the lights where green (cable modem) and it showed actitivty(yellow flashing light).

The setup:

Cable modem---->Linskys 4 port router---|

Linskys router
1--->to my other router just has a power cable I think it's really a switch
a. to my computer b. to my xbox c.empy d. empty uplink from main linksys router.

2--->My Dads computer
3--->The stupid internet phone I don't remember the name of it right now I'll edit it in later.
4---->to the print router

print router---->(I think)---->
1.to another old computer for my siblings.
I thik the print router is a 4-port

Main router uplink
>cable modem

So what happens I will be online not playing bf2 and when I try to load a page it will not load all the way all signs show that I am still connected to the internet but apparently I am not.

When the internet connection is lost everyone losses the internet and it looks like everyone still has the interet. Ipconfig still works on all computers, Network connections shows traffic, I don't know what the problem is this is really weird and very bad when I am in the middle of battle or on the forums. :scratch:

It can happen randomly, even when I have internet then shut down my pc, and turn it on still have it and then i don't have it.

Random loss of internet.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    I don't know which Linksys router you have, but I had the same problem with mine until I downloaded the latest firmware at one point.

Go to their website and check it out. If you need help with the details, post back- with your router model No.

Hope that helps- :)
  • edited October 2005
    alright here is the situation and it is really getting frustrating since I cannot find out what the problem is.

I installed Battlefield 2 and played it supurbly for about 3 days and then I lost my internet connection. But this is the weird thing about it. I looked at my modem and all the lights where green (cable modem) and it showed actitivty(yellow flashing light).

The setup:

Cable modem---->Linskys 4 port router---|

Linskys router
    1--->to my other router just has a power cable I think it's really a switch
    a. to my computer b. to my xbox c.empy d. empty uplink from main linksys router.

2--->My Dads computer
    3--->The stupid internet phone I don't remember the name of it right now I'll edit it in later.
    4---->to the print router

print router---->(I think)---->
    1.to another old computer for my siblings.
    I thik the print router is a 4-port

Main router uplink
    >cable modem

So what happens I will be online not playing bf2 and when I try to load a page it will not load all the way all signs show that I am still connected to the internet but apparently I am not.

When the internet connection is lost everyone losses the internet and it looks like everyone still has the interet. Ipconfig still works on all computers, Network connections shows traffic, I don't know what the problem is this is really weird and very bad when I am in the middle of battle or on the forums. :scratch:

It can happen randomly, even when I have internet then shut down my pc, and turn it on still have it and then i don't have it.

Random loss of internet.
    What kind of internet connection do U have with your ISP? How many MB? And while you're offline (but everything says U should be online), what's the IP address the router is pulling (and what is yours?) It sounds like DHCP problems from your router and that firmware should solve it, but if it doesn't, then it COULD be your cable line signal. Access the internals of your modem and check the Downstream Receive Power Level, Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio, and Upstream Transmit Power Level (On a Motorola modem, it should be 192.168.100.1, click on SIGNAL). Not sure on what your specific ISP is or what the ranges should be, but Downstream Receive power level should theoretically be around -10 to +10, Upstream should be 30-50 dbMV, SNR should be >25 dB. You COULD be experiencing intermittent signals from your ISP, but your modem isn't detecting it all.

But yeah, check that router first before you check the cable line.
  • edited October 2005
    the ip is 192.168.1.1 for the routers address which is now connected to a voip router 192.165.1.1.*I hate this thing*.

I have changed my ip address to 192.168.1.2 *static* but I still get the problem.
  • edited October 2005
    the ip is 192.168.1.1 for the routers address which is now connected to a voip router 192.165.1.1.*I hate this thing*.

I have changed my ip address to 192.168.1.2 *static* but I still get the problem.
    Sorry for taking so long to check this out.

If you're not having problems anymore, cool.

As for your IP address, what is the IP address that your ISP is assigning you? In other words, what is the actual IP address of the modem? Sometimes your router can tell you, but the clearest way is to hook directly into your modem and do an "ipconfig" in DOS to see what your ip address is.

And like I said earlier, check your signals too. I'm not sure what ISP you have, but they could be out of range and be the cause of your slow speeds and random drops.
  • edited October 2005
    Oh and if you're connecting that many computers with a router AND VOIP, I hope you have a 5MB speed package because I don't think 3 or 4 MB packages will handle all that bandwith needed.
  • edited October 2005
    Ohh I do it is actually 6-8MB sometimes
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2005
    Are the NICs in use integrated? If so, disable autosensing the lan speed and manually assign it.
  • edited November 2005
    No just got disconnected last night 6 times in under 45 minutes. Cable modem looked ok, but I had to unplug it and plug it back in each time.

The activity light fills up and stays a solid orange/yellow and sometimes it just blinks like normal.