Pump Recommendations

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited October 2005 in Hardware
OK I need a pump for my main system.

DFI SLi-DR
3200+ (maybe 3800+ DC if I can sell my other system)
Swiftech 120mm Rad
X700 Pro
Maybe a northbridge block if there is one that will fit since the PCIe cards actually touch the fan the way it is now.

So far I have been looking at the Swittech 655/DD D5 which both seem to be the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good pump for this system? I also have a Dual 120mm Rad that I was thinking about putting in the dualie system but I am not sure if the a64 setup would need it more.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I'm not a very experienced watercooler, but the Ehiem 1048 pump in IC_11 is effective and very quiet. I love it. :thumbsup:

I've read a review that said it ran cooler, quieter, and performed better than an Aquavia pump with more GPH. Not that I know anything about Aquavia, so I'm not really sure if that's much of an accomplishment. But, I do get the impression that I have plenty of flow, and if for some reason I wanted more, I'd pay for it in heat and noise.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    The swiftech 655 delivers twice the GPH and twice the head meaning it can force water vertically up a tube twice as far. With a 2x 120mm rad, extra GPU block and Northbridge block I dont know how much head I will need to keep the flow going.

And how did you get water in and out of the Vodka bottle? I could see one in the top but did you have to cut a hole in the bottom somewhere for outtake?

Oh and Eheim pumps and the swiftech pump links:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_eheim_universal_hobby_powerheads.asp?ast=&key=
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp655.asp
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle. I used some ceramic Dremel bits, starting with a really small one to make a hole, and just widened it slowly. Three hours, four destroyed bits, and a lot of dust later, I had a hole wide enough to fit a plastic elbow fitting into (with lots of plumber's tape to seal it off).
    edited October 2005
    I was wondering how you were going to seal that with it being glass.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    edited October 2005
    Looks like my pump faired pretty well in that test. It was the second-quietist, and second-least heat dissapation.

Heh:
    To have a large pump always does not mean to have more performances!
    edited October 2005
    Hmmm, I have the Swiftech 350 (Laing DDC, the smallest one), and Swiftech 650(D4) currently and the 350 is in the rig I have up on the DDT&P.

I should try running the 650 without a complete setup and see how tha does with noise so I can compare the rest. The 350 is fairly quiet and doesnt produce much heat.

Anyone think the swiftech 120mm rad will do the job with an OCed 3800+, X700, and maybe the nForce4 chipset or will I need a dual 120mm fan setup.
    edited October 2005
    I would go dual. What are you using now?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    im using a thermochill dual 120 and a black ice 80 in my loop with a cpu and gpu and they stay at very good temps 32-40. so i would say that you should have at least a dual 120 with all that. btw ive noticed that the chipset doesnt really get hot enought to need water.
    edited October 2005
    I'd really love to my hands on 2 pa160's but where would I put them??? The only think stopping me from building a case is the rear pci panel. If I could order that alone with maybe a mobo tray attached like the lian li type I would get started.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    I used a dangerden D4 for the longest time, and it is a great pump. Very powerful, with lots of pressure and high flow. The D4 was high-pitched though, I belive the D5 has corrected that issue if you are looking for a quieter system.
    edited October 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I'd really love to my hands on 2 pa160's but where would I put them??? The only think stopping me from building a case is the rear pci panel. If I could order that alone with maybe a mobo tray attached like the lian li type I would get started.
    Like a removeable motherboard tray? This Skyhawk Case is cheap at Newegg (it goes on sale for $20 every month or so), and it has a removeable motherboard tray. If it goes on sale again, it may be worth it for you to buy it and jettison the case to keep the tray.
    edited October 2005
    I dont have it setup yet. I do have the MCB-120 and H20-220 kits.

Yeah the link that Chris posted had some sound clips. The D5 was much quieter than the D4.

If I had a Dual 120mm rad...where would I put the thing? I have a Chieftec case and about the only place I can think of to put it would be the bottom of the case or the outside in the rear of the case. If I put it in the bottom of the case I would be putting warm air into the case unless I pushed the air under the case.
    edited October 2005
    I've seen people mount them on top of cases, but I've always wondered if air could accumulate in the radiator if it was the highest point in the system.
    edited October 2005
    Yeah I thought about putting it at the top of my case but the rez I have will be below it. That wouldnt work at all.
    edited October 2005
    I thought I already posted this but here goes ... ;D
    How about a radbox 120? ...and/or just go with a single PA160 and get the same performance.
    edited October 2005
    Well the Swiftech Rads i have now are just like the radbox but thinner. They look pretty much the same. They both have the same box between the rad and the case.

I have never seen the PA160 tho. So it just uses a 120mm fan with a shroud that attached to 160mm rad I guess from the pictures.

Hmmm one guy put that in the front of a PC61.

And ya know what, I just remembered something. I put 2 and 2 together. I saw a guy take a Gigabyte CPU cooler, the same one that Doug reviewed here on SM (he even linked to the review here on SM), cut it down the middle and he can fit a card in the middle of it. Take a look at this thread fo some cooling solutions people came up with to cool the northbridge.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61809&page=4&pp=25
    index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=4523310

And ya know what? Norge, my roommate, won that same gigabyte HS at the Lan party this year. Man I might just have to buy it off of him and make myself a passive cooler way better than the one DFI provides.

I might just have to get a Stacker case for all this by the time I am done. I have always wanted one. Man then I could have to buy another computer to put in the case I have now
    edited October 2005
    Well I was about ready to order the D5 when I realized it was for 1/2" ID tubing. The CPU block and everything else is 3/8" ID. Oh the DD site it says that it can be used for 3/8 or 1/2" tubing and on Swiftech's site it only says 1/2", the link above says 1/2." Will I be able to use this with my equipment?
    edited October 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    Well I was about ready to order the D5 when I realized it was for 1/2" ID tubing. The CPU block and everything else is 3/8" ID. Oh the DD site it says that it can be used for 3/8 or 1/2" tubing and on Swiftech's site it only says 1/2", the link above says 1/2." Will I be able to use this with my equipment?
    I'd order the one from DD in that case ...or at least email them first.