no display

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
i got my new dfi sli-dr board and i plugged everything in didnt change any jumpers or anything and i power up i get a single beep and no display the monitor stays in self test mode? im running a single 7800 gt, 1gb ocz ddr600(dual channel in orange slots), antec phantom 500 watt. all of this stuff is that same as when i had an evga board and it worked fine.. i dunno if the board is dead or what

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Scratch :scratch: My first guess is your supply is failing the 12V rail. But I'm not sure. You might try your old video card and see if it works or works better. Do your fans turn on?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    You could also try resetting the BIOS. Make sure the jumper isn't already in "reset" mode - some boards get shipped that way.

Qeldroma's suggestion of using an old video card is well worth trying. You may need that to get into the BIOS so you can make an adjustment to your PCI-X settings. Even an old-school PCI (non-X) card may prove helpful.

Good luck - we've probably all had a brand new MB act like it's DOA. It is truly a suck-filled situation. Hopefully yours is like many and just needs a little fine-tuning to get it going. :)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    its a funny thing i had already did all of those things, turns out i was out of town with this pc and had not even turned it on yet to see if it worked i was so short on time. in my rush i forgot my dvi to vga adapter and couldnt plug my monitor in so i had to go buy one. after messing with the pc for hours i messed with the cord and plug a bit and when i messed with the plug i noticed the screen kinda flickered, then i realized taht for some reason the adapter had spacers on it that were not allowing the plug to go all the way in. broke them off plugged it in everything worked fine :mad: such a waist of time. thanks for the suggestions and help btw
    edited October 2005
    So often it's the little things that trip us up.

Glad you figured it out. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Is that you Mr. Lanza :>
    edited October 2005
    whu?
  • edited October 2005
    Guess not sorry... "Sure does look like though" :scratch:
  • edited October 2005
    I don't mean to threadjack, but I'm having a similar problem.

I have a DFI lan party nF4 ultra D, leadtek geforce 6800 (256mb), AMD 3500+, etc, and when I turn on the computer, the case fans, northbridge fan, and HDD turn on, but nothing is displayed on my monitor. Unlike magic (thread starter), I am not hearing a beep at all even though I have the jumper on the mobo set to speaker ON.

I don't have any spare PCIe cards lying around to try instead of the leadtek to see if that is the problem.

also, another problem(?) seems to be that the computer will power on (fans spinning...) when only the 24 pin connector is plugged into the mobo from the PSU, but will not start up AT ALL when both the 24pin AND the additional 4 pin connector (square-shaped arrangment, NOT in a line like Molex) are plugged in
    Thus, I have left it so that only the 24pin power line is plugged in.

any thoughts? sorry if i'm hijacking the thread. :(
    edited October 2005
    not a problem but you might get more views starting your own thread, no beep on startup aye... are any board leds comming on? not booting with the 4pin connector in is verry odd. what psu do you have, did you sleeve it yourself and not put the pins in correctly?
  • edited October 2005
    When the mobo actually powers on, all 4 diag. LEDS are red.

My PSU is a Seasonic S12-500, which apparently is somewhat problematic with DFI boards...something I wish I had known previously...:(

I still don't understand why I am getting no video output from my vidcard when my mobo can powerup, even if only the BIOS is running (w/o an OS or anything else). It seems like I may have to pick up another PCIe card to see whether or not my 6800 is the problem.
    edited October 2005
    nanahachi wrote:
    ...It seems like I may have to pick up another PCIe card to see whether or not my 6800 is the problem.
    Even if you can just scare up an old-style regular PCI vid card it may help you track down the problem. :)