Abit AN8 32X

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Abit AN8 32X

NVIDIA® C51D Based K8 939 ATX Mainboard, 2GHz HT, Dual DDR 400, NV SATAII RAID, NV GbE w/ Firewall, 7.1 CH Audio, NVIDIA SLI Technology, ABIT Silent OTESIII, ABIT µGuru Technology

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    The Asus board looks like a better option from the initial specs.

I wonder why both of them went with the silent heatpipe for this setup.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Do they still not do 3.3v on the vdimm?
    who's doing the review?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited October 2005
    what's the extra chip w/ heatsink under the cpu socket? and why isn't it connected to the heatpipe?

strange....newegg has the KN8 SLI...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127225
    edited October 2005
    I'm not sure but I think that the sli ran 16x before ...now it runs 32x.

an8 32x is a new nvidia c51d chipset think ...not nforce4.
    edited October 2005
    Before 16 lanes could be run to either of the 16x slots but not both. When you wanted to run SLI, 8 lanes went to both slots. Now there are 32 lanes for both allowing for each card to have a full 16x slot.
    edited October 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    Before 16 lanes could be run to either of the 16x slots but not both. When you wanted to run SLI, 8 lanes went to both slots. Now there are 32 lanes for both allowing for each card to have a full 16x slot.
    yeah what he said! thanks marc

NVIDIA® C51D Based K8 939 ATX Mainboard
    edited October 2005
    ryko wrote:
    what's the extra chip w/ heatsink under the cpu socket? and why isn't it connected to the heatpipe?
    [/url]

I could be some more mosfets. Another version has a few mosfets in that position.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited October 2005
    that makes sense...so 32x SLI requires an extra chip on the mobo?

just wondering what is under that heatsink... :scratch:
    edited October 2005
    No the nVideo C51 chipset has the extra lanes built in. I dont think there is an extra chip like a northbridge or southbridge under there but similar Mosfets to the ones that control your CPU voltage.
    edited October 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    No the nVideo C51 chipset has the extra lanes built in. I dont think there is an extra chip like a northbridge or southbridge under there but similar Mosfets to the ones that control your CPU voltage.
    now that you mention it ...that must be where all the mosfets are.
    edited October 2005
    The ones you are thinking of Chris are under the HS by the rear panel. The normal 6 phase power set of MOSFETs.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    from the Tweaktown Asus A8N32-SLi review pg3
    nVidia’s new nForce 4 SLI X16 chipset

The nForce 4 SLI X16 is the normal SLI chipset on steroids - we think that’s the best way to explain it. As with the regular chipset, when we want to SLI our graphics cards, each PCI Express graphics slot is given 8 lanes of bandwidth. The X16 variant of the nForce 4 SLI gives us two full speed 16 lane PCI Express slots making sure that we get the most potential for our current nVidia graphics cards which come with PCI Express 16x capable GPU’s.

18 PCI Express lanes are added to the new AMD version of the chipset providing a total of 38 PCI Express lanes (40 on the Intel platform). 32 of those lanes are used for the graphics cards, the remaining lanes will be setup differently depending what the motherboard manufacturer wants to do with them.

Nvidia C51D Chipset Diagram
    edited October 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    The ones you are thinking of Chris are under the HS by the rear panel. The normal 6 phase power set of MOSFETs.
    I've never even seen an A64 chipset! ;D
    So ...how high can the vdimm go on this board?
    edited October 2005
    The AN8 Ultra & SLI versions did vDimm 3.55, so I would expect something similar
    edited October 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    The AN8 Ultra & SLI versions did vDimm 3.55, so I would expect something similar

:scratch: so now I'm really confused ...what made the lanparty more popular? Are they better overclockers or better features? :confused:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited October 2005
    well, IMO, the reason for DFI's popularity besides its good looks and stellar overclocking/features is the fact that they did it right the first time around. granted their boards aren't perfect, but if you are an a64 owner looking to overclock, DFI has proven that they should be at the top of your short list.

abit needed 1 or 2 revisions before they produced a board with the same features as DFI's first round of nf4 products--that's the main reason they are lagging behind.
    edited October 2005
    so do they perform somewhat equal clock for clock? Is there any reason to wait for the dfi version?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited October 2005
    neither abit's or dfi's 32x SLI boards are actually available...yet. so it's really up in the air untill we get a head-to-head comparison.

also keep in mind that there have been reports that abit's financial future is more than a little uncertain at the moment. not saying that they are going under or anything, but they are lossing tons of money right now...
    edited October 2005
    ryko wrote:
    neither abit's or dfi's 32x SLI boards are actually available...yet. so it's really up in the air untill we get a head-to-head comparison.

also keep in mind that there have been reports that abit's financial future is more than a little uncertain at the moment. not saying that htey are goin gto go under or anything, but they are lossing tons of money right now...
    yeah I heard that a few months back ...certainly uncertain.
    edited October 2005
    The DFI boards generally reach a higher HTT speed, aka FSB, than most other manufacture's boards. Sometimes upwards around 320MHz with basic overclocking.
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited October 2005
    Does anyone know WHEN the A8N32-SLI Deluxe from Asus is coming out!??!
    edited October 2005
    Hothardare Review: ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe