Immediate Power Down problem

edited October 2005 in Hardware
I am building a Digital Video Workstation.

Basic parameters:
TYAN S2676 motherboard with a Thermaltake W0049 PSU with dual Xeon 3.6 GHz processor, 4 GB (ECC) RAM, 4 SCSI and 2 SATA drives. (SCSI hard drives or controller are not installed yet, only part of the liquid cooling chain). For cooling I use a Koolance Exos-2 system. Case is a Temjin TJ05.

I have not been able to configure anything yet beyond the BIOS.

When I start the system via the power button on the front of my chassis, it apprently runs all right until I restart the machine (I was able to flash the BIOS to the latest version without problems). Then it only powers up for a second, then it shuts itself down (no POST is made yet, just the the fans start to spin) - and this happens over and over again but I have to reset the power button (keep it held 3-4 secs) every time before I can power on.
I wait for an hour or so then reset the front Power button again and boom: the system starts without the problem - I can enter the BIOS, check everything and choose SAVE AND EXIT.... The computer shuts down. When I try to restart, the symptoms start again. If I wait 1-2 hours - perfect startup - otherwise - no luck. This has been a consistent problem and I can't find a solution.

I had my PSU replaced (this is a very powerful 680W unit) - same symptoms. When I tested the PSU by disconnecting the mainboard cable and shorting the green/black wires, the liquid cooling system and the fans were running OK. Played with the power and reset cables, switched them to every possible variation - no luck. I have direct temperature reading from the CPUs - they both run at about 25 C.

But when the problem occurs, the startup process never reaches to the point of POSTing.

Obviously, I can't proceed with installing any further components until this problem is resolved.

Before I send my motherboard back for a replacement - any idea?

Thanks

Andalex

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    try removing and reinstalling the motherboard

something might be shorting it out

also try setting the bios to defult and runing it that way

might be a setting that it does not like

might try clearing the cemos also

just some ideas that poped into my brain

good luck