System hold on start up.

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hello,

I believe i somehow just got a virus. well anyway to the point.

have Win XP, My computer out of the sudden stater to use all the free disk space on my C: drive. i thought since i had a few applications opened (9) it was just the system trying to allocate virtual memory, any way so what i did i moved almost 1 Gb of mem from C: to a seperate drive. 5 min later the machine again said that i was loo on mem so i checked out how much was left and it showed 0 Kb!!!! i checke to see if anything weird was running could find it ran MCAffe and Norton they found nothing, ran MS antispyware. nothing. :scratch: . So again i blame myself, so i rebooted.

Now the systems boot up but right before the log on screen it says, something like, "not enough resources to open API" or something to that matter.

Please if any one has any idea what i could do, I have looked in to the startup and there is nothing weird that i could see.

Thanks.

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    try starting in safe mode

their is a process that i had running(one of windows :shakehead ) that was eating all my HD space

it was also using 100% of my CPU

can't remenber what it was tho

dr watson or debugger something of that type

it was creating a file in my profile that was getting rather large, 30 gig+

it was showing under processes
  • edited October 2005
    When running in safe mode, the system works almost properly, it seems it has kept only my last good configuration, since it shows I only have 220 Mb of space, under the processes i see nothing out of the ordinary. The only weird thing i see there is that the svchost.exe has 5 threads. one of them using 10,988 Kb of RAM the rest use appro 4Kb.
    edited October 2005
    find the folder that containes your profile and find out how large it is.

just remenber anything in my doc is in there

BTW what size is your HD, and how much was free before this started.
    xracer wrote:
    When running in safe mode, the system works almost properly, it seems it has kept only my last good configuration, since it shows I only have 220 Mb of space, under the processes i see nothing out of the ordinary. The only weird thing i see there is that the svchost.exe has 5 threads. one of them using 10,988 Kb of RAM the rest use appro 4Kb.

as for the svchost.exe that is fine

mine is using 40 kb and the rest is between 3-7 kb
  • edited October 2005
    well my HD is 11 Gb i started with .8 Gb free but then i moved 1 Gb (from my desktop) to my secondary hard drive which is only 29 Gb, remember this is only my laptop. So i should have 1.8 Gb free on the HD.

I found a pagefile.sys, which it seems to be a bit large 393.216 Kb.

\OK if i am correct my profile file shoul dbe under user and should be my account, so i believe the file is 10 Mb.
    edited October 2005
    it is under Documents and Settings

also might want to look at system restore to see how much it is using

the pagefile.sys sounds about right for a system with between 256-512 meg ram

the problem is that 1.8 gig can be used very easly in XP

try using disk cleanup

with temp files and internet cash(SP sorry ;D )
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Run SpaceMonger and see what it finds. You might want to tell us what the largest folders are on your C: drive.

Post a HijackThis log here. If we spot something rotten going on behind your back we'll send you to our Spyware/Virus/Trojan experts. :)
  • edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Run SpaceMonger and see what it finds. You might want to tell us what the largest folders are on your C: drive.

Well funny the errors.log is taking an incredible 1.725 Gb of HD space. other than that i do not see, also is there another way to see spacemonger results?
    edited October 2005
    that sounds like the problem I had.

that log will keep eating up all the space you free up.

:shakehead I wish I could remenber what was causing mine to get that large and how to stop it :scratch:

try deleating the log in safe mode.
  • edited October 2005
    OK i have done the Hijackthis here is the log file.

Now please keep in mind that this was done in safe mode, sinc ei am not able to get in to regular mode. If it is necessary to do it in regular mode well i am SOL then :P
    edited October 2005
    it does look like you have a few infestation of spyware

O16 - DPF: {4B6015E7-3ABB-45DC-96B7-55A843751F28} (IntRuboskizo2 Class) - http://www.mangapc.com/

that is one

but I don't think that is the reasion for the loss on space

but deffently post that in the SVT section
  • edited October 2005
    ok thanks, do i have to put any specifics on? or hsoudl i just link this thread.

Sorry where is the SVT section ??? :scratch:
    or does that forums has an specific name?
    edited October 2005
    just copy and past the txt from the log into a post

also read

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13628

and do this before posting their

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14915

and here is where to post it at

http://www.short-media.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion aka SVT
  • edited October 2005
    ahhh cool,

THanks a lot man, I hope they will help me get out of this mess :)

Again thank you for your time.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Looks like gibbonsl has you covered. Good work, man. :)
    edited October 2005
    I am a tad bit rusty, but hey it's like a bike, all you need to do is to get back on;D

good luck :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    for a quick update the error.log file now is taking 1.8... Gb or HD space. Any way just wnated to bring this ting to mind. :) i think i finally have done everything they request so i can post in SVT section.
    edited October 2005
    have you tryed deleating the log file in safe mode yet?

and is their any processes that is tacking up and abnormal amount of CPU usage?