jacked up colors on a laptop

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
My Dad bought this HP laptop brand new about 3 years ago. It's an HP pavillion zt1230. Last year, he needed me to install some software or something on it so he brought it to my house. I had the laptop on the ground and once or twice when I needed to pick it up, I grabbed it by the top of the screen, on the plastic bezel. A couple days later my dad tells me that the screen looks red and pink for about the first ten minutes that it's powered up, then the color goes back to normal. Sure enough I go to my parents' house and witness this for myself. It's been like this ever since, but the funny thing is if you postition the screen perpendicular to the laptop base, at a 90 degree angle, the colors will look fine. It's when you tilt further than 90 degrees that it gets pink. You can still see everything, it's just that the screen becomes predominantly pink. I think it has to be some wire that got bent somewhere, but I was just curious if any of you had ever run into something like this before.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    You are right about a busted conductor, but laptops normally have a small ribbon cables for video, least the ones I have seen, and bending it too far can cause a broken conductor or conductors in that ribbon. By bending it only so far, the pieces touch. Best fix??? New ribbon cable or wires if you have one of those with wires for video (not too common).
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Yeah I figure it's some kind of ribbon cable in there. I might open the thing up to see at some point.
  • alexdcdalexdcd The United Kingdom
    edited October 2005
    Could be a shielding problem, the metal sheif around the ribbon cables or couplings may be disconnected, another thing to look out for. Another posssibility is that the persons involved may have pressed on the lcd screen too hard, causing the pixels to become damaged and lose conductivity! dead pixel trauma is bad! i have a few patches on my current laptop that show up occasionally when playing fullscreen movies. if the problem persists, try 'massaging' the area lightly!. A lubricant such as table wax will prevent scratching.