Win XP x64 With XP 32-Bit Dual Boot

VaGVVaGV Athens,GR
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hallo To Everyone. My Name Is Vagelis, And I'm Sending This Message From Greece.

My PC Config Is Below:

MainBoard : ASUS P4AD2E-Premium

CPU : INTEL P4 640 (3,2 GHz) 64bit (s775)

Hard Disks : Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA (X2) In A RAID 0 (This Is My C: Drive)
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 ATA 133/IDE (This Is My F: Drive)

VGA : MSI RX800 XT 256 MB PCI Express

Sound Card : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Other Devices : ASUS CD-S520/A (This Is My H: Drive)
: ASUS DVD-E616P2 (This Is My G: Drive)
: PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM (This Is My E: Drive)
: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A (This Is My D: Drive)

The Connections Between The Devices Are :

Maxtor With CD-ROM In IDE (Blue)
DVD-RW With CD-RW In IDE (Red)
DVD-ROM In IDE (Red)

The Problem Is That :
I've Installed Win XP x64 Edition At My C: Drive (RAID) With No Problems. I Try To Install Win XP Pro 32-Bit To My F: Drive (Maxtor) With These Results :

During The Installation I Receive The Message : The Next File Is Missing Or Corrupted. windows root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe. Please Reboot Or Re-install A Copy Of Windows.

Do You Have Any Idea How I Can Have Both Operating Systems In My PC ?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2005
    From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896455:
    If you want to set up a dual-boot system, use the following best practices:

• Always install the 32-bit version of Windows first to make sure that the correct startup files are written to the root of the drive. If you overwrite the x64-based version of NT Loader (NTLDR) with the version of NTLDR that is included with 32-bit versions of Windows, this prevents the x64-based version of Windows from starting. The version of NTLDR that is included with x64-based versions of Windows is backward-compatible with the version of NTLDR that is included with 32-bit versions of Windows. The versions of NTLDR that are included with the 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 cannot start the current releases of x64-based versions of Windows.

• Do not install an x64-based version of Windows on the same partition as a 32-bit Windows installation. The x64-based versions of Windows use the same Program Files folder and the same Documents and Settings folder as 32-bit versions of Windows. Therefore, the contents of these directories may be replaced with 64-bit versions of the .dll and .exe files that are required by the 32-bit versions of Windows. If the 32-bit files are replaced, 32-bit programs and services may not start or may become unstable. If you unintentionally install the x64-based version of Windows on the same partition as an existing 32-bit version of Windows, back up as much data as possible. Then, format and reinstall both operating systems.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    DavidNJ, that was an excellent summary of the method. Nice job. :)

VaGV, I hope that helps you out. It's no fun having to re-do things, but once you know how to go about it I'm sure you'll get things going the way you want. :thumbsup: