HELP!! Can't boot from CD

edited October 2005 in Hardware
I need help! I've been trying to get my PC to boot from the CD drive for about 3 hours now. I've done everything I can think of. I set the boot order in BIOS to CD only and it still comes up asking for a boot disk in the A: drive. I even disabled the floppy controller and removed the floppy drive.

I had a hard drive crash 2 days ago and I'm trying to put the new one in so I can load everything back up.

Can anyone help me quickly? I've got an older Gateway (originally a Celeron 633...bryant MB) and I think it's got AMIBIOS.

Thanks
lyrix191

Comments

• SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited October 2005
    Did the CD drive work before the crash? If you had a problem the the hard-drive crashing there could be a problem with that IDE channel (that's if the cd-rom and hard-drive were on the same IDE cable). I would check all the connections and make sure everything is connected correctly inside the computer. What model Gateway do you have?
  • edited October 2005
    Old Gateway. Bought it in 2000. PIII board. Everything worked before the crash. CD drives are on the 2ndry IDE channel. Just can't get this thing to boot from the CD. Gateway AMIBIOS. I think I'm just going to hook it up to a working PC and get it set up then put it back on the old system. More work, but it'll save me stress in the long run. I've given up on trying to get this thing to boot the right way. Thanks for the try.
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks everyone. I got this one figured out. I was trying to boot from the slave CD drive. I switched it to master and everything went swimmingly.

Thanks