Help Corrupt Registry, Computer Crashes

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Well my computer keeps crashing and it says mcd42.dll is missing and the "blue screen of death" appears when running certain apps. I went to use the free registry fixers but all it does is delete stuff, half of them dont work case it says missing mfc42.dll, and i have to buy them. Is there a manual way to fix the registry?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    ...it says mcd42.dll is missing...it says missing mfc42.dll...
    Which is it? The first one doesn't appear to be a valid file. You can download mfc42.dll here ; just put it in your C:\Windows\system32 folder.

I searched for this file on my computer and it shows up as being used by quite a few programs and has copies in various places around the HD. Which program(s) are causing the BSOD?

Good luck. :)
  • edited October 2005
    well yes i fixed the mfc42 simply, i was gonna edit that, but it crashes randomly. lol well nothing is random, but it crashes when i click a link sometimes, any link, it crashes on updates, and it crashed on Doom 3.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited October 2005
  • edited October 2005
    when it crashes this is when i get on startup and for spybot the kernal check keeps comin up. I dont think i installed any drivers lately.
    edited October 2005
    Background info:
    DLL File: mfc42 or mfc42.dll
    DLL Name: Microsoft MCF Library

Description:
    mfc42.dll is the module that contains the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) functions used by applications created in Visual C++.

I found this file to be a part of all of the following programs on my computer, sometimes showing a different version of the file and different file size:

Logitech Mouseware
    MediaFace II (CD label app)
    Nero
    3DMark2001 SE
    Super Video Joiner

I also found a reference to problems being caused by the Xupiter spyware program. A trip over to the Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum might be worthwhile.

If I were in your shoes I would probably try reinstalling any program which gave me an error message regarding that file. Failing that, I'd likely try a Windows Repair Install. Neither of those options would be a large amount of fun, but might end up being easier in the long run than trying to fix things piecemeal.

Trogan's suggestion to run Memtest is a good one, too. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Actually i think i did install something device related. Well i have my asus motherboard and it came with a cd with all the drivers on it and utilities , for the motherboard, like overclocking, and cool and quiet software that measures temperature and voltage, and processor speeds. Can that be the issue. I unistalled with no luck of a resolution but it could still be there. Also the mem test is running on the computer as im typing. It takes awhile, it gone through 8 tests so far with 0 errors, but i dont want to stop it.
  • edited October 2005
    This is not spyware especially cause IE is able to be run. It would be very serious if it crashed on the opening of IE. :scratch: i dont this think is super urgent but my comp is bsod'in lol. I'm goin to try to take pic of death, but i think i fixed it.....well let see. Oh yea and how can i fix the registry?
    edited October 2005
    There may be nothing wrong with the registry at all. You apparently have some files missing which are needed by some of your programs. Fix that situation and the problem will disappear on its own.

As for IE running, you can be chock full of spyware and still have that. Also, what device were you referring to when you said "i think i did install something device related"? A borked driver might be causing the problem.

Can you post the error you're getting on the BSOD? :)
  • edited October 2005
    thats hard but ill try
  • edited October 2005
    Stop 0x0000008c (0xC0000005,0xAADF3582, 0xA62C6AE8, 0x00000000) *8's may be B's
    NVTcp.sys - adress AADF3582 base at AAD62000, DataStrip 4253b85b *b's may be D's
    edited October 2005
    Stop 0x0000008c (0xC0000005,0xAADF3582, 0xA62C6AE8, 0x00000000) *8's may be B's
    NVTcp.sys - adress AADF3582 base at AAD62000, DataStrip 4253b85b *b's may be D's
    That is part of your nVidia driver package. When you have a conflict with anything video-related it is not unusual to have frequent BSOD's, seeing as how your video drivers are always in use.

Google documents numerous problems such as this. You may want to try an updated driver, or try a somewhat older version if you have the latest one now. :)
  • edited October 2005
    only one thing is i dont have nvidia video i have nvidia chipset "nforce4", and why would just start now?
  • edited October 2005
    K well i followed their directions and when i installed the drivers, again i got this message. I had all latest drivers anyway, i built my comp early august.
    edited October 2005
    We are hot on the trail. :D

Read post #6 and after in this thread at [H]ard|Forum. The suggested fix was a rollback to an earlier set of drivers.

only one thing is i dont have nvidia video i have nvidia chipset "nforce4", and why would just start now?
    Your chipset drivers are another hardware item which figure prominently in everything you do. As for only recently starting, see if one of the .dll files you mentioned is included in the driver package. If it got corrupted it would explain all of your troubles.
  • edited October 2005
    I havent had the computer long enough to roll back. I can understanfd if i just updated these drivers but i installed them on July 26th 2005, the same day i installed my OS.
    edited October 2005
    Your error message is pointing right at them as being the problem. You may want to try using one of the driver cleaning programs to make sure you completely remove them, then reinstall fresh. If the problem persists you should seriously consider trying a different version. Believe me, a driver is no different than any other file. If it gets screwed up you are in trouble.

A word of caution: Be sure you know what you're doing, a complete chipset driver removal is not for the meek. If you can ghost your boot partition to another drive it would be highly advisable to do so.
  • edited October 2005
    well, hmm. I dont know what to say other than i know what im doin by fixing the problem. I just need to find where the problem is. My computer is imaged so if i really screw anything up i will restore my image. sortof handy :) but the thing i was saying is maybe if i just installed or updated the drivers i could see a problem. When i chose to go 32-bit from lack of support for 64-bit i installed the new drivers first, my computer worked fine for 2 mths. But just these past days its been screwin up. How can drivers get corrupted? i didnt have any virus or trojans attack just one instance of spyware.
    edited October 2005
    ...How can drivers get corrupted?...
    It could be something as simple as an odd hiccup while writing something to your swap file, or a defrag encountering a bad disc write. It's a computer, weird stuff happens.

I bet if we took a poll to see how many people had a problem and traced it to a suddenly malfunctioning driver which had worked just fine for ages we would end up with quite a long list. If you have everything backed up, what have you got to lose by trying it? :)
  • edited October 2005
    K i finally got it. Well thanks for the advice that it was th driver. Alli did was need to reinstall nforce drivers. So i used drive cleaner and i think i got it. I ran the program that kept crashing 3 minutes after use. And i left it on for 20 minutes and no crash. So this may be the end. Thank you
  • edited October 2005
    Wow just as i typed that when i sent it the comp BSOD'd :( that stinks
    edited October 2005
    :banghead:

Was it the same message on the most recent BSOD?
  • edited October 2005
    yes but i finally got it. I had to go back to a previous driver, reset all wireless network settings. :mad: The asus website isnt that great with drivers for nvidia, they were missing a whole bunch of nforce drivers and most of their files were corrupt or mislabeled :shakehead . I just hope my software doesnt crash cause its not compatible :( with my nforce drivers. w/e thanks for the help.
    edited October 2005
    I'll cross my fingers and hope your troubles are over.

Good luck! :D
  • edited October 2005
    Thank you for your support and help :)