Dual Core or No Dual core, That is the Q

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Ok i was given A Asus A8V Deluxe 939 mobo, I am gonna buy a new cpu to throw in it and sell off my A64 3400+ and MSI board ( if you want it PM me )

My problem is I want a 3800+ Dual Core OR A single core, I dont Know if I will see the Difference, I play W0W and some other games but I dont know if I will see the difference, Also will the A8V support dual corE??

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    In actuality I would recommend get a Dual Core, as much as we don't see the benefit now... We will in the near future, as the 3800 X2 is only $20 more then the regular 3800+, why not go for the better choice? Go Dual Core and you wont be sad you did... Trust me :)

If the Board supports a Athlon 64 FX series chip than it will run a X2 chip :)
  • edited October 2005
    I'll also go along with the dual core setup too. This will run just like a true dual proc workstation board, but with overclocking options included. If you run more than 1 app at a time, you will definitely see the difference in smoothness vs a single core proc. It's the feeling that the P4's with hyperthreading give, but even more so, since it is truely 2 different cores sharing the load instead of a hypothetical second core that the P4 gives, due to their extremely long pipeline. I plan to upgrade my EPox 939 system to a DC proc myself and replace my P4 with it as my primary machine.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Well I will order one right now then, Hey mudd want a A64 3400+ and a MSi board??
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I changed my MSI NEO2 from a 3500+ to a 4400+. The benches all run almost identical, but the machine is really a lot more powerful when it comes to multitasking. I can be playing WOW, ripping a dvd, and surfing the web and everything still runs normal. Couldn't do 2 of those before without seeing an effect. If you do any DVD processing with say DVDShrink the time goes down by half to 2/3rds. 2 1/2 hour rips drop to 1 to 1 1/4 hour.

Only thing I notice is these weird pauses sometimes while it sorts out it's memory allocations. I've seen this on true dualie boards too so I guess it's normal. It only happens when you have the memory full so if you have 1 or 2 GB of RAM you won't see it much at all.

GO X2. You'll be glad you did :thumbsup: