SM29_Betty_Harris - Signup Closed!

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited October 2005 in Folding@Home
Announcing A New SMx Computer!
:celebrate SM29_Betty_Harris :celebrate
:smokin:

As many of you already know, last April our fellow Short-Median and F@H teammate madmat lost his mom after a long illness. It is a great privilege to announce that our next SMx rig will be named in honor of Betty Harris, who battled bravely to the very end. We all enjoy the competition, but things like this serve as a reminder of the greater goal toward which we are working.

If you meet the qualifications for hosting one of our team's SMx machines, why not sign up to be a candidate? You could be the one chosen to house this Folding rig in your home, not to mention having that extra Folding sig to show off your status as one of Team 93's elite group of SMx Hosts.

The Hosting Requirements and Selection Process are available on the team page. Please look them over carefully before signing up.

If you feel you meet the requirements and are willing to sign the contract, throw your name in the hat by posting in this thread and giving us some details about your hosting conditions (connection, environment, etc.) and your computer ability that would mark you as a suitable host for this special SMx Folding machine.

Here's what we have going for this special rig:
SM29_Betty_Harris Specs:

Motherboard: MSI KM3M-V
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+
Hard Drive: To Be Determined
Display Adapter: Onboard VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Memory: 384MB DDR333
NIC: Onboard Via VT8237
Case: A Brand-New Case & PSU will be shipped directly to the new host

If you happened upon this thread by accident and wonder what it is exactly that Folding hopes to accomplish, check out Join Folding for a quick summary of the F@H Project. Like many of us here, you could put your spare computer cycles to work for the betterment of mankind. Won't you consider joining us? :wave:

Sign up soon. We will give you plenty of notice before the signup period is closed and the SMx Committee vote is taken.

As per our new policy, there are no geographical limitations on hosting eligibilty.

Check out The SMx Project - Reloaded! thread for more information on the project in general. If you have any parts you could spare for future SMx rigs, go here and have a look at what we need. Memory (PC1600 or greater) and Motherboards are in extremely short supply. To keep this project going we need your help.

Good luck, everybody! :thumbsup::fold:

Comments

• DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited October 2005
    I'm not about to give up now!! Count me in! :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    I'm flattered guys, I'd throw my name in the ring but with my situation being what it is if she broke I'd have no way to get her repaired in a timely manner.

That said I'm sure my mom would be pleased to know that y'all care, I know I am and I'm looking forward to seeing her getting sent to a good home and pumping out WU's. :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    madmat wrote:
    ...if she broke I'd have no way to get her repaired in a timely manner...
    Hardware problems are taken care of from The SMx Parts Bin and the SMx Fund. All we ask of our Hosts is that they have the know-how to keep the rig running. (And meet the Hosting Requirements, of course.) :)

It is our pleasure to be able to play a small part in honoring her memory. :fold:
  • edited October 2005
    Well, I meet all but being a viable member due to my past situation, now that we have electricity as part of our rent I can once again afford to fold, that's why I'm rejoining the "fold" when I get my rig going.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited October 2005
    Count me in for this one!
  • edited October 2005
    Well, after discussing it with my sister I'd like to officially throw my hat in the ring, I know that I haven't been active lately but life kind of got in my way. Now things are back to a state where I can go back into it with my old enthusiasm and most of you know I'm nothing if not dedicated.

Anyways, if I don't get picked I'll more than understand and if I do I pledge to treat her with the same respect I treated my mom.
    edited October 2005
    Three fine candidates thus far:

:fold: DoctorGeo2008
    :fold: maximusbad
    :fold: madmat

Who else wants in? :)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2005
    I'm in again, gonna keep throwing my name into the hat until I get the honour of hosting a SMx machine :)
    edited October 2005
    Four-Four-Four - We want more! :D

:fold: deicist

Speaking of "four", there are four days remaining until we close the signup process. Get in while you can. :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    Just over 24 Hours remain to throw your name in the hat (or) your hat in the ring. (I have no idea where we ought to throw the ring, in case you were going to ask...)

Anyone else? :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Hurry... this is a great rig. :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    Last call - only a few hours left. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Count me in of course! how in the heck did this slip by me????? 10/7/05 ???? dude where have I been, I check this forum like 5 times a day if not more, and I haden't seen this post!

I'm Fired! :(

but Really count me in the drawing if possible!
    edited October 2005
    Count me in of course!...but Really count me in the drawing if possible!
    You're good to go for both areas of our F@H Contest.

You're in as a candidate for SM29. We'll close the signup period in a couple of hours, after which the SMx Committee will begin the voting process. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    edited October 2005
    One of you five (or perhaps more) candidates is going to be even happier when the results are announced. :D

For those who miss out this time, look for a new announcement soon. :cool:
    edited October 2005
    Here are the final five:

:fold: deicist
    :fold: Sledgehammer70

The signup period has ended and the ballots will be sent to the voters soon.

Good luck, everyone! :)