XP "Repair Install" already running for 15 hours...

jlivensjlivens Belgium
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi

I bought a new pc beginning of this year. Since the graphics card i wanted was not in stock it got delivered with a temporary one and the promise to receive the desired card as soon as it was available. Yesterday i received the nw card (MSI RX800 XL-VT2D256E); i also received my offcial winodws XP cd. The OS installed when the pc was delivered was apparently a non-official version (as i found out when trying to download the latest updates/patches from microsoft).
Since about 1,5 months my Logitech DiNovo stopped working and since i had no official XP i was unable to fix it. So i reverted to a simple keyboard and usb mouse.

After installing the new graphics card yesterday the system booted up fine but the mouse was not working. I tried rebooting once more; no luck.
I then tried with a ps2 mouse, no luck. I checked both mice on another computer and they worked fine there.

Since the XP on it was a non-official i figured doing a "repair install" would be a good idea.
I started around 19:00hr and it was indicated that it would take around 35minutes. It's now 10:41hr (so almost 16 hours later) and it's still running; indicating now it will take 32 minutes. The messages on the right of the screen listing the advantages and improvements of XP are still cycling and on the lower above the progress indicator it says "installing network".
I don't think it's completely hung but i wonder why i takes this long.

The main question is: do i let it run for maybe days and hope it finishes...or should i interrupt it? Will my data still be on the disk so i can back them up? Will i be able to boot into the OS or will it not be accessible?

Configuration:
Intel P4 3.4Ghz 1024KB/800Mhz LGA775 with cooler
ThermalTake case
Chill Innovation Power supply 510Watt
Mistumi Floppy
MSI 915P Neo2-Platinum LGA775 intel 915P motherboard ATX
Kingston 2048MB DDR2/533 240pins PC4300 CL4.0 Dual Channel Kit memory
2x WD 250GB Serial ATA/150 (8MB) harddisks
Lite-On SOHW-1653 dvd writer dual layer

Thanks in advance for a prompt reply!

Johan

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    Just a thought - If you had done a full reinstall, you'ld be done by now........

Sometimes (often) trying to fix a borked WinXP install isn't worth the time and effort (15+ hrs and counting)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    jlivens wrote:
    ...I figured doing a "repair install" would be a good idea...almost 16 hours later..and it's still running...the progress indicator it says "installing network"....
    If you still haven't got it, I'd try shutting down and removing your Network Card (or disabling it in the BIOS), then give it another shot. If you make it to the end this time, reinstall (or re-enable) the NIC and cross your fingers. :)