Second Hard drive install

sparky69sparky69 Texas
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Need help!

I have just recieved a new PC and attempting to copy files from old harddrive. However when I attach harddrive it is recognized in CMOS and displays in folder list, but receive error I/O drive error.

This is a IBM Deckstar IC35L040AVER07-0

Please help!

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    Are the jumpers set right ?. (one master and one slave)
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    do you have the drive jumpers set correctly

opps a little to slow :thumbsup:
  • sparky69sparky69 Texas
    edited October 2005
    The jumpers are set to cable select. I have tried to setting as slave and had not solved anything. If I place in the DVD slot when I first boot I can see the drive folders and move them, then the drive locks and disapears. However I can see the drive in my hardware config. So not sure where it is and how to get to it.

Thanks,
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Did you have trouble with the drive in the past? IBM Deskstar drives are well-known for their failure rate. I've been through six of them - all duds. :(
    IBM Deskstar hard disks are no different from any other drive in so much as they are prone to all the usual problems suffered by hard disks. However, they are notorious for developing serious mechanical faults, the symptoms of which are a regular "scratch-click, scratch-click, scratch-click" noise coming from the hard disk. Once this has happened the drive will frequently not be recognised in the BIOS and it is important to power the drive down immediately and not power it back on again, as continuous use will further compound the problem. This fault is commonly known as the Deskstar 'click of death'.

The problem is so bad that there has been a Class Action Suit Filed against the manufacturer. The good news is that if you file successfully they will send you $100 for your troubles. I literally gave away free of charge the last replacement drives they sent me (along with a strong word of caution to the "lucky" recipient). Now I wish I'd kept them - I'd have a couple hundred bucks to spend on something more reliable. :rolleyes:
  • sparky69sparky69 Texas
    edited October 2005
    Actually I did have troubles in the past that is why the new PC upgrade. However I could at least get to my files in the old system on this drive. Thanks for the help, maybe I will file for the $100
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Did you have trouble with the drive in the past? IBM Deskstar drives are well-known for their failure rate. I've been through six of them - all duds. :(

The problem is so bad that there has been a Class Action Suit Filed against the manufacturer. The good news is that if you file successfully they will send you $100 for your troubles. I literally gave away free of charge the last replacement drives they sent me (along with a strong word of caution to the "lucky" recipient). Now I wish I'd kept them - I'd have a couple of hundred bucks to spend on something more reliable. :rolleyes:

Gah I had a pile of those I just threw out.
  • macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited October 2005
    deathstar.jpg
    I've missed the deadline by a mile, sadly...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    macdude425 wrote:
    I've missed the deadline by a mile, sadly...
    :(

I just read the fine print. Apparently the cutoff date was August 29th... :shakehead