Toshiba laptop issues.

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hi there people, im new to this forum.
Before i launch into this problem, let me say thanks in advance for any help recieved, it is always much appreciated.

Right, heres what happend

A month ago my computer (toshiba satellite A10)'s space key and escape key ceased to work. This was odd, and after virus check, etc, it still no go. As the comp neede a fresh start anyway, i did a full format, boot sector included.
I tried to reinstall the factory install but my cd is scratched. I have a useable disk 1, but i cannot get 2 files off the second one, preinst002 and preinst003(or 004).
Toshiba say theyll send a new set for $60 bux. I would rather save my 60 for another 256 of ram.
So thats where it stood before last night.

Does anyone know where i can download the missing files?

Then to see why the keys werent working i removed the keyboard, and it all looks fine, and cleaned the keyts etc.
After reassembly, when i turn it on, i cant get into the bios, (dont know how)
and all it does is sit with a flashing cursor.
What do i do here?
I think that its freezing because it has half of the default system install on it, but this could be wrong.
And why is it not booting off the toshiba disk?

So if i cant download the missing files, and creat a new boot disk, is it possible to send away the hard drive to ge the default stuff reinstalled?

AAARGH my sega master system never gave this much trouble.

Thanks

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    B00ste wrote:
    And why is it not booting off the toshiba disk?

So if i cant download the missing files, and creat a new boot disk, is it possible to send away the hard drive to ge the default stuff reinstalled?

AAARGH my sega master system never gave this much trouble.

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay in response, but it seems no one here has an easy solution for your problem.

I'm afraid $60 may be a possibility. But you may also have deeper issues. You might want to check your warranty and see if you have options there and follow up- send it in to see if there is more than just a bad disk image and take advantage of it.

At this point, I think no one has your system here and laptops are pretty individual in their behavior- each one is different.

Hope you get it fixed!
  • alexdcdalexdcd The United Kingdom
    edited October 2005
    Hey i have the exact same laptop. I know that you will need to have a working ESC key to boot from cd. This is because you will have to fiddle with the bios in order for it to boot from cd. it sounds like theres no problem other than hardware, mayba a membrane has been split while you were servicing the laptop. Under the keyboard there is a metal clip on top of the connector. The wire underneath may have got ripped or crushed because you need to unscrew this plate first. Either way you may need to replace the keyboard ebay is a good idea. i know that the a10 does not have ps2 mouse or keyboard interfaces and you will need to get a generic usb keyboard and use it to access the bios and change the boot priority. As for windows i would not recommend using recovery cd's they are terrible and use slow file by file install processes. You will be able to download the bios or drivers etc direct from toshiba. They will just want you to pay 60 bucks to package it up and burn onto a cd. These files are available for free to anyone, as i use them all the time in my company( i fix pc's). You will need to get into bios and change boot order and get yourself a normal install cd like windows xp professional. Service pack 2. Any problems and i can get you resources needed even windows and the required drivers. mail my help desk at [abcdef]

MODERATOR EDIT: Alex, the best support you can provide the Short-Media community is to provide your advice and assistance right here, at Short-Media. It is not necessary to direct the members to off-site support if you can provide the same service here. After you've established yourself as a loyal member, then perhaps the links to your email help desk and partially completed site might be appropriate. Thanks. We look forward to you being active here.

Leonardo
    Super Moderator
  • edited October 2005
    hey.thanks.guys.i.have.fixed.it,with.the.toshiba.files.but.the.space.bar.is.not.working.still.and.this.post.is.a.damn.telegram.because.of.this.
    ha.ha.ha.

Is.it.possible.to.make.another.key.work.as.space.temporarily.until.i.get.thee.new.keyboard?

Thanks.again.this.place.really.is.professional.andgreat.members,so.thanks.
    edited October 2005
    if you have windows xp use the on screen keyboard located Start menu>program files>accessories>accessibility. or use an external keyboard
  • edited November 2005
    Hi,
    how r u?
    My name is Tahir Khan, I have a a toshiba satellite s2410-304, I bought it in Moscow in 2003, i am currently in Bombay..2 months ago there was a heavy lightning in my area, something happened and my laptop and tv stopped working. I turned my laptop off and on, there was no display, i would only see red TOSHIBA logo and after that just horizontal lines on the LCD.
    I took the laptop to a authorised Toshiba center, since it was out of warranty, they said they will charge 60$ (in Rupees) just to diagnose which will take 2-3 days and then if any part is damaged then it will take 2-3 weeks to get it working, same afternoon i came to know that one of my friend was leaving for moscow in that week, so I thought he can get it repaired from moscow. I went back to the toshiba center, and told them I want my laptop back...mysteriously they said that it has been repaired, when I spoke to the technician he said that LCD cable was loose. I had a huge arguement with them on paying 60$ to them and I ended up paying a little less.
    When I came back home I discovered that My internet is not working...it was showing network cable unplugged (I have a internal NIC)so I called my Broadband guy, who came with a laptop, which worked fine on the same connection, he concluded that my NIC has gone bad. I bought a USB-NIC adapter and have been using that and my internet is working fine.
    Also my video out is not working (earlier I was able to watch movies on my TV through my laptop)

today I thought i would open my laptop and see if anything is unplugged or something so that my NIC starts working,
    I followed the guides from ur site (http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba1415/sat1415_1.htm)
    EXCELLENT PICTURES

After opening it half way I mad the following observations:

There are 2 thin wires (black and white) loose under one of the F4 plastic panel. similar to these in the picture (http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba1415/disassembly/big/Toshiba_1415_05.jpg)
    what are these???

What could be the problem with the NIC card/V-output ?

Please advise?

Thanks and regards

Tahir
    tahirkhan9@gmail.com
    edited November 2005
    Hello, The black and white cable you speak of will run from the mini Pci area up through the shell and into the Monitor casing, and acts as an antennae for a wireless connection card, and will have two plugs on it. The problems with your Nic/lan and Video out sound like a motherboard short caused by the a forementioned lightning, with no surge protection, and no ups, you are succeptable to these surges. there is a slight possibility that it may be a software error, if you would like to humour yourself, a clean install of windows or new updated driver installs could remedy it. If you can see the toshiba logo on the screen, then it cannot be a monitor conection problem, but maybe a ground problem, this is the metal sheath around the monitor cable (under power button plastic panel).
    Good luck.