Computer crashing...I have no clue what's wrong.

LaRockLaRock TX, USA
edited October 2005 in Hardware
OK, first off--I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to computer hardware. So please be patient if I seem ignorant...

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 PC. I added a second hard drive over a year ago so I'd have more space to store files. As of now, my C Drive has an 18.6 GB capacity, and 9.74 GB of that is still free. My F Drive has 37.2 GB capacity and 26.3 GB are still free.

On disk cleanup, I'd only free up 48,000 KB. I need to defragment my C Drive, which I will do right after I post this.

That's the extent of what I know to do in order to "clean up" my computer.

Here's my problem: Recently, my computer has crashed on me multiple times when all I have running is a web brower or two and another program (usually a media file player or something of that caliber). On reboot, I briefly see a blue screen with a ton of writing on it. All I've been able to make out is a line that says: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. I have no clue what that means or if it will help, but I thought I'd post it.

Also, I got a "Low virtural memory" message the other night when I had a web browser running and Ewido scanning.

If there is anything I need to provide you with in order to help me out, let me know. You may have to give a step-by-step process in order for me to help you out, but I'm willing to do whatever I can to make things easier for you.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    This can be RAM. I would:

1. Get MemTest86. It's in this site's download area.

2. Burn it to CD in such a way that you get a bootable CD. DO NOT make a data CD.

3. Run it with ALL tests running, at least 5 times through the RAM. If you get ANY errors, your RAM needs replacing.

There is a tutorial for MemTest86 that Primesuspect wrote, search this site for that and it explains all.

(I can't search here while posting, and want to keep things short).
  • LaRockLaRock TX, USA
    edited October 2005
    This can be RAM. I would:

1. Get MemTest86. It's in this site's download area.

Found it--got it.

2. Burn it to CD in such a way that you get a bootable CD. DO NOT make a data CD.

I have no clue how to know if it's just a data CD or a bootable CD. Is there an easy way for me to tell the difference? What type of blank CD should I use?

3. Run it with ALL tests running, at least 5 times through the RAM. If you get ANY errors, your RAM needs replacing.

Will-do as soon as I can burn MemTest86 to a bootable CD

There is a tutorial for MemTest86 that Primesuspect wrote, search this site for that and it explains all.

That's fine...I'll find it.

Thanks for your help! If I can get an answer on how to get the program on a bootable CD it looks like I'll be on my way to finding a solution.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    whats ur temps?
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited October 2005
    you can make a bootable cd in nero
  • LaRockLaRock TX, USA
    edited October 2005
    Sorry, I don't know what 'temps' are. I wasn't kidding when I said I am a technical novice...

I'm going to try to get MemTest86 on a bootable CD with Nero...
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    might want to open the case and see how many dust bunneys have taken up residance inside ;)

even more so if the case has not been opened in a few months