System hangs up at detecting IDE drives

edited April 2010 in Hardware
This is not a new build. The computer has been working just fine. But, now suddenly it is hanging up when booting.

It checks memory, then goes to detect IDE drives and just hangs there and won't go any further. I have tried booting several times but can't get past detecting IDE drives.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    do you have more then one hard drive in there

might want to post your setup

also try reseting the bios defults
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    Jumpers are set wrong, A drives dead or the ide cable is bad.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    This is not a new build.

this make me think a bad drive

BUT try resetting bios defults

my laptop did this a couple of times, it took resetting the bios to defults to fix
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    this make me think a bad drive...
    That would be my guess. Try starting the computer with only one drive hooked up at a time. If the system hangs with one particular drive, try and test it in a different computer.

The jumper and/or cable suggestion is worth checking, but if nothing has been changed around recently that is probably not your problem. It's easy enough to do, though, so you might as well cover all the bases.
  • edited October 2005
    try not to connect the hdd to the system when boot.see whether it can get past the post screen.if so, maybe your hdd is broken. :o
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    I agree and would start by replacing the cable. If it had bee running for some time then the jumpers should be OK. I have had hands on a couple of times where a system that has been running for some time did this and changing the jumper from "Cable Select" to "Master" (or the appropriate cable position) got it working again.
  • edited January 2010
    Hello,
    I disconnected the IDE drive not shown on startup.
    Namely: My DVD drive.
    System booted up fine. DVD still under warranty so taking back.
    NOTE: My system - Two Raptor Raided, Ubuntu/MySQL server.
    regards,
    Ian Gregory, Sydney.
  • edited April 2010
    To fixe the problem, you need to check whether the earthing for your electic outlet is correct or not. Remove the hard disk from the cabinet with the cables 'plugged in' and keep it out side the cabinet. and try to login. if you are able to login, then it confirms that the earthing is not correct. You need to keep an electic insulator iside the cabinet to prevent the shock to your hard disk.
  • edited April 2010
    GrayFox wrote:

my cpu battery was not working, when i replaced it and put a new battery then i save to cmos ,as a message was coming at each start up. but now my dvd drive is not detected , it's hanged "detecting ide drives", when i remove dvd drive then only start up happens. i want to know how jumper setting works. thanks