Windows not booting after Serivce PK 2 Updates!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Wow I never thought I would run into an Issue I can't fix, but here it is....

I have assembled a new rig with the following specs....

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
EVGA K8-nf41-ax SLI
EVGA 7800GT 256 DDR3
OCZ 2 x 1Gig PC3200 DDR400 dual Channel
Maxtor Diamond drive 10 250GB 16MB Cache
Audigy 2 ZS
Zalman 7000B CCU
Antec NeoPower 480W PSU
NEC DVD Burner 16X
Sony DVD drive
Samsung 1,44 FD
Xion Case

Now I installed windows perfectly, I installed the Mobo drivers, did Nvidia update, went to EVGA and got the AMD updates and installed all the other drivers. so I than proceed to get the windows updates... Got the installer, than service pk 1 updates, DirectX 9, etc... Restarted a few times after that, Than I proceeded to the serv pk 2 update, downloaded installed everything is fine...restarted and now for the last updates for service PK 2 and bam I should be done.... So I download install and restart the system now hangs on the windows boot screen and goes no where else. Kind of frustrated I figure it might had been a corrupted install of the drivers, so i went into safe mode to check it out. things looked good I made sure the drivers were all Microsoft certified...so I restarted, and It came up to the windows boot options, I figured hey lets try last know good config, bad idea system froze and never went back :(

So now I was pissed, I went into safe mode and got online with Microsoft support. The guy took control of my tower adjusted a few things and pretty much wasted 5 hours of my day, with no resolve... He mentions get the new Bios and your issues will be fixed. Okay I figured I will do that. So I went down to EVGA.com and got the new Bios, Flash it and than decided just to do a fresh install of windows. So I did everything all over again. And came to the service pk 2 updates and did them again in hopes it was a compatibility issue that the new bios might have fixed.... well still no luck, freaking hangs again!

My question is, has anyone had this issue before? And what was the final outcome! was it just stupid windows XP pro updates, or was it a hardware issue, I haven't been able to find hardware incompatibility with the specs I have above, and I have tested every part on a test system and all the part work fine.....

I was thinking it was the SATA drive, But I have no clue, I am out of ideas.....

The system runs 100% fine with out those stupid Serivce Pack 2 Updates, I can put just service pk2 updates on but no updates.

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    try installing the servace packs before installing any drivers other then the ones required to get on line.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    Reinstall blows then install SP2 NETWORK INSTALL before anything else(Yes that includes drivers).
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    and that should work? I figured it would be something stupid like that!
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    deffently get the network install

the only problem i ever had with installing sp2 is with installing it after installing everything

after that it was slipstreaming it

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    I'll second the motion on slipstreaming. It saves gobs of time over the long run, plus seems to reduce the risk of having the problem you've encountered.

...My question is, has anyone had this issue before?...
    Unfortunately, you are not alone.

To be fair, most people don't have problems. For those who do, it can be a real pain - as you well know.
    GrayFox wrote:
    ...install SP2 NETWORK INSTALL before anything else(Yes that includes drivers).
    Agreed. You're better off applying the SP before you update anything else (another reason I'm a fan of slipstreaming). The WHQL drivers may not be the latest and greatest, but they are likely to be somewhat more stable.
  • edited October 2005
    worse comes to worse, get a copy of erd commander and roll back the sp2 and block it till you can pinpoint what sp2 is freaking out about.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I hate windows! ;D