Help finding a new HDTV

CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
So, I want to get an HDTV. I've currently got a Sony 32" analog television that works great, but it weighs a ton, and obviously isn't HD.

After watching football in HD at my parent's house, I'm spoiled.

I'd like to get something that is slim, light, widescreen and is no smaller than 32". I'd REALLY like to stay around or below the $1500 mark. I'm not opposed to Plasma, as I'd probably be replacing the TV before I even have to worry about the gas depletion. I'm thinking DLP may be a good choice, but a decent LCD would not upset me. I just don't want one that has a nasty screen-door effect going on.

I was looking at the Sony KLV-32M1 online. It's an older model, but many places have it for around $1400 or so shipped. Unfortunately, I can't find one to look at in person.

Beyond this, I don't know where to even start looking, or even who makes good quality televisions in this area. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, and if it has DVI or VGA input, then I'm willing to spend a bit more. I want to be able to hook my computer to it.

Thanks, guys!

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    westinghouse 32" comes in at 1300

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998396&type=product&id=1110265591303

I have the 30" one, very nice if i say so myself:)

it has component in dvi and vga in

it also has PIP :)

16 ms responce time, this is the one i have no ghosting that I have noticed

cost me 1300 with 2 year warrenty

they also have a 37" it cost around 2000 tho

this is at bestbuy you can find it online alot cheaper tho
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Hmmm.. How's the screen-door effect on it? That drives me nuts. I hope it's minimal. :)
    edited October 2005
    what screen door effect are you talking about

to me it looks like a perfect LCD

dvd look very good
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    If you look at larger LCDs, you'll notice a black matrix running through it, the space in between the pixels. If it's too bad, it will feel like you're looking at the picture through a screen door. That's the only thing that bothers me about larger LCD televisions.

As an example, check out this picture: http://www.digitalprojectors.co.nz/images/glossary/chicken-wire.gif

Notice the black boxes around the pixels? I assume it's not going to be too bad on a 32", but there are some that are just painful to look at.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2005
    I have a 50" LCD and have never noticed this "screen door effect"
    edited October 2005
    mine dose not have it
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    I'd say just go to bestbuy or something and look at all of the tv's. thats the only way your gonna know what each tv's picture is like.