Harddrive Question

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hello,
I got a question on a Hard drive setup. Which one of the two setups would give the best performance:

2 10,000 RPM 8MB cache hardrives in RAID 0 or

1 15,000 RPM hard drive 16MB cache

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    Do I have to pick from your choices?

Your sorta cutting out all the good answers. And didnt give enough info even on the choices you picked. Can you be a tad more exact in the make and model?

Tex
  • edited October 2005
    No you do have to pick from the choices given, if you suggest better please post, and the 10000 RPM hard drive is a Western digital raptor serial ATA 150 and the 15000 hard drive is a Maxtor Atlas 15K II SCSI
    edited October 2005
    No you do have to pick from the choices givenSCSI

I pick.....

none of the above. Would love to help you better understand how to appreciate how beautiful scsi can be if setup correctly.

Tex

Tex, few know as much as you about drives, but most of us know much more than you about tact.

--Kwitko
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:

I pick.....

none of the above.

Basically, me too, but let me try to help explain-

Maxtor 15K at about $500 per plus a SCSI 320 cost premium

and

WD Raptor 74 at about $175 per?

Personally, if money, power, heat and noise were not issues and being a speed freak with a gun to my head was all that mattered- the Maxtor. On a non-professional budget, the WD and still gag.

Of course if the files don't merit it, a RAID0 is not going to make a lot of difference anyhow.

RAID0 performance

You did have to specify because there are 15Ks that aren't nearly as good (as the Raptor review shows)

I'd love to see what Tex has going on, but I think I'll have to wait for the review.
    edited October 2005
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Basically, me too, but let me try to help explain-

Maxtor 15K at about $500 per plus a SCSI 320 cost premium

and

WD Raptor 74 at about $175 per?

Personally, if money, power, heat and noise were not issues and being a speed freak with a gun to my head was all that mattered- the Maxtor. On a non-professional budget, the WD and still gag.

Of course if the files don't merit it, a RAID0 is not going to make a lot of difference anyhow.

RAID0 performance

You did have to specify because there are 15Ks that aren't nearly as good (as the Raptor review shows)

I'd love to see what Tex has going on, but I think I'll have to wait for the review.

He said 15k maxtors with 16mb cache. Which are SAS not u320.

He is talking drives only on the market a very short time with a even smaller list of controllers released to date.

I may be out of date. I was at maxtors site a couple weeks ago. I have a ton of 15k maxtors and a pair of 15k II u320's but they are all 8mb cache.

the only 16mb cache 15k drives were SAS.

Tex

And I am not sure where your getting your pricing. I pay $40 a pop for 15k u320 18gb maxtors that cook any raptor in STR or access time.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I pick.....

none of the above. Would love to help you better understand how to appreciate how beautiful scsi can be if setup correctly.

Tex

Tex, few know as much as you about drives, but most of us know much more than you about tact.

--Kwitko

Tex one of these days I need to get your advice on how to set up an external SCSI HD box :cool:
    edited October 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    Tex one of these days I need to get your advice on how to set up an external SCSI HD box :cool:

Would be glad to help. I have a 6" tall 19" rack setup with multiple external scsi enclosures.

Tex
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Tex is the SCSI-Man... :thumbsup:
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    I will make a new post on that

don't want to hi-jack this thread any more the normal :p
    edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:
    And I am not sure where your getting your pricing. I pay $40 a pop for 15k u320 18gb maxtors that cook any raptor in STR or access time.

Tex, Here.
    They're the 73GBs. (I'm pretty sure we wanted to keep the sizes about the same too.)

Plus I'd like to know more about what you do for set-ups too if you wouldn't mind. I'd like to know more about the newer technologies- you're more in touch than I am. Will be waiting for gibbonsl's thread so I can thread-jack a little too? :D .
    edited October 2005
    edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:

Haha! You cheater ... errrr .... sorry, ... bidder! I'm SCSI ignorant- is SCA SCSI the same as u320?

BTW, GREAT price! How do they get away with undercutting the new product market like that?
    edited October 2005
    sca is a 80 pin hot swap format. Has nothing to do with speed. That wasnt MY buy I lionked to either..... just what they run on eBay

On ebay you always pay 25 to 40 percent the new price on scsi drives. I bought a HUGE lighted entertainment center for $2 on ebay. Probably cost 4 grand new.....I bought a 56" TV for $300.

I buy all my stuff on eBay from cowboy boots to cpu's.

Its fun really.

Tex
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited October 2005
    You should see them PII boots! The coolers are really Fly!!! ;D;D