Stock cooled X2 3800+ OC!

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
So far I am at 2.4GHz and still going strong!

Sisoft reports me at 5700MB/s on Memory at 400MHz DDR 2-3-3-8-2CMD(1T)

I have my FSB at 240MHz(total of 2400MHz) x2 for a 2.4GHz clock speed thus far.

Only problem I've seen is artifacting in 3D Mark05 on the plant scene... but I only see it there and no where else. My heat is still in the low 40 degree's Celcius.

Hoping to hit 250MHz soon for a 2.5GHz Athlon X2 a whole 500MHz OC on a dual core CPU :D

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    2.5GHz now... and no problems still. I have never OC'd so easily before.... never.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I'm wishing I had a better MB right now. The system seemed fine, even played Counterstrike for a while. But Dungeon Seige would reboot my system until I put the timing from 2T to 1T. It would reboot before it opened the game. Although now it just crashed my system but after a few minutes of playing.

Oh well.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    RWB wrote:
    I'm wishing I had a better MB right now. The system seemed fine, even played Counterstrike for a while. But Dungeon Seige would reboot my system until I put the timing from 2T to 1T. It would reboot before it opened the game. Although now it just crashed my system but after a few minutes of playing.

Oh well.
    what ram and mobo are you using?
    what is your vcore?

nice job! :thumbsup: now start folding! :fold:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Been folding since I got this baby ;)

My VCore is 1.4V(though it's reporting at 1.43 or something).

I am using PC3200 DDR from Kingston(HyperX) 512MBx2 with the ASRock SATA2 MB. It's not an OC'ers MB, and of course this stock HSF is small as hell. I'm back at default speeds for now until I get a better GFX card/MB becuase I don't trust this board much.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    The stock HSF is fine. Its probably your memory crapping out at 250FSB unless you have it set to some divider. Maybe set the RAM to some loser timings and up the DRAM voltage if possible to stabilize the system.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I jsut poped my 3800+ X2 in runs sweet, gonna oc it now!
    edited October 2005
    RWB wrote:
    Been folding since I got this baby ;)

My VCore is 1.4V(though it's reporting at 1.43 or something).

I am using PC3200 DDR from Kingston(HyperX) 512MBx2 with the ASRock SATA2 MB. It's not an OC'ers MB, and of course this stock HSF is small as hell. I'm back at default speeds for now until I get a better GFX card/MB becuase I don't trust this board much.
    I can't wait to get mine ...I bet it'll be rendering beast! :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2005
    Just popped mine in too. Don't have time to play as i'm flying back to work in a couple of hours. :(

Will be watching this thread from afar. :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Man, where is everybody getting their X2s? Was there a handcout earlier? I never get the memo.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    I jsut poped my 3800+ X2 in runs sweet, gonna oc it now!

My bro just got that same processor and it runs amazingly. i love it and im considering getting one for myself.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Not stock cooled, but still on air (XP90C).

2650MHz seems to be within reach (1.6Vcore), but not "1:1" on this pos Neo2 board.
  • JimBowenJimBowen Southampton, England
    edited October 2005
    Is there anything special needed to overclock an X2? Like some sort of unlocking?
    I have a 4400+ running at stock speeds atm. I have 2GB Corsair XMS3200 CAS2, and an Asus A8V board. The cooler is a Zalman Fatal1ty, and it runs at 38C while folding on both cores.
    This thing is just BEGGING to be overclocked.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    Its just like any other A64 CPU. Up the FSB/HTT speed.
  • JimBowenJimBowen Southampton, England
    edited October 2005
    Except I have never tried OCing an AMD64 before. :)
    Is the Asus "AI Overclocking" any good for this? Or should I be doing it manually?
    Note: It _must_ be stable. I run a small website from this machine (200 odd users), so really I can't be playing around with it too much..
    But at 38C full load, I just can't resist an overclock. :]

Anyone have a well-established formula for increasing these two values for best results? Or should I trust Asus' algorithm to know what's best?
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2005
    Each CPU is different in the amount you can overclock it.. you really have to test it out for yourself, which involves a lot of rebooting ;p If you're running a webserver, perhaps you should schedule a few hours of downtime in the future and play with it then.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Lasse, what temperatures do you got?
    I have an old 4400 E3 that gets melting hot at 2.55 and 1.53 vcore. I'm looking at 60c++ after a couple of hours of prime. That's on a XP120 which isn't the best thing that have happened in this industry, but there are worse coolers. I'm dusting of the Prommy here for some FX action tomorrow. I might try the X2 on that as well.
  • edited October 2005
    Hey Mack, you might try taking the hat off that older X2 and see how it does, cooling-wise. I've read at the O/C forums where people have had significant heat reduction after taking the IHS off their X2. Maybe some of the earlier X2 procs were deficient in the way the IHS was mated to the processor core. It also helped them get much higher prime-stable overclocks. When I get my X2 4400 in, I plan to take the IHS off my Winnie 3000+ just to see if it will help on overclocking it and also just to practice IHS removal, since I've never removed one before.
    edited October 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Lasse, what temperatures do you got?
    I have an old 4400 E3 that gets melting hot at 2.55 and 1.53 vcore. I'm looking at 60c++ after a couple of hours of prime. That's on a XP120 which isn't the best thing that have happened in this industry, but there are worse coolers. I'm dusting of the Prommy here for some FX action tomorrow. I might try the X2 on that as well.

I get 27°C full load on this Neo2 :wtf: But on my other Neo2 with this CPU, I got 45-50°C with a silent 92mm Papst running at ~1,500rpm on the XP90C. I doubt either is correct, but the base of the XP90C is luke warm/cool. Great CPU, but either the Neo2 boards or the RAM controller on this X2 sucks, as 255MHz is max with OCZ PC4200 TCCD (even with 6x multi on the CPU and 2.5-4-4-8 timings).
    edited October 2005
    Nice temps! :D

That board is weird. Really weird. I dusted off the old friend Prometeia today..man..haven't used that for 1,5 years. I'm not positive that the contact is that good and the evap socket is a little damaged as well.
    It's nice to see 3 ghz at such low voltage though. This is after 5 hours of prime now.

Mudd, i'm actually thinking of removing the hs cause something must be wrong with it.
    edited October 2005
    That FX seems great Marcus...and no cold bug :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    WHere do the cold bug kick in normally? Maybe this Prommy doesn't get cold enough. lol. But isn't 10-12c a little too much?
    edited October 2005
    On my Epox 9NDA3+, FX55 Clawhammer@3.2GHz and 1.7ish Vcore, I get CPU load temps in the +45 to +50°C range (Prommy evap at -45 to -42°C). Needless to say I find hardware sensors to be utterly useless :shakehead Atleast as absolute values...but if you look at temp increase/decrease only (deltas), I guess they can give a hint as to what is going on with some accuracy.

The cold bug I have witnessed is related to the RAM controller going crazy. On a couple of winchesters they refused to run 2x512 sticks reliably. And I even got the problem on a an old Vapochill PE at it's lowest cooling settings (evap temps in the -10 to 0°C range). The no boot and or sudden lockup problems some refeer to as a cold bug, I think is more mobo related (hardware sensors start to report temps like +255, which trips the over temp protection due to crappy BIOS programming)
    edited October 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Mudd, i'm actually thinking of removing the hs cause something must be wrong with it.

Please post pics of the removal process and keep us update on results!
  • edited October 2005
    Chris, when I get in from work in about 1 1/2 weeks, I will be dropping my new Toledo in my system and will be removing the hat from my Winnie. Maybe I can go meet you at your house with it and we can experiment with the removal together. :D

I've read of people removing it by carefully cutting the sealant around the edge of the IHS with a single edge razor blade or Exacto knife, then carefully prying it off.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    Hey Mack, have you thrown your X2 under the prommie yet? I'd love to see what kind of gains are experienced with one of those little toasters.

I attempted the removal of the IHS on my old 2800+ newcastle, and I had a hell of a time. I had some very thin, fine, sharp razor blades and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get the blades in far enough to cut the sealant. After scratching up the PCB and snapping off a blade under the IHS, I finally gave up. It is at least 4 or 5 mm deep. It should be a piece of cake with proper tools, but I just could find a razor blade thin enough to do the job.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Okay IM excited and depressed at the same time... :):(

I just bought a AMD Athlon X2 4800+ and a AMD Athlon FX 57... the good thing is I now have the top 2 proc's in the world.. the bad news is my bank account is almost $2,000 smaller :( I will be posting benchies once I get these running. I am debating if I am going to switch out the FX 55 for the 4800+ Dual core???? but I also have 2 brand spanking new Custom cases from Antec along with 2 new DFI Lan Party Mobo's, I need to get ram for these and PSU's... so we will see what comes of it :)
    edited October 2005
    I did test it with the Prommie today, but i found out that the screw that goes through the whole assmbly to the board, was fubared. That means the whole gasket was almost loose. I was litterally watching the temps go up to 45c, and that's with a Prommie!

I'll redo it this weekend, but i got the chance to prime at 2850 before i found out that the temps where crazy. I would be happy with 2.9 ghz, but overwhelmed with 3ghz.
    Dual core folding at 3ghz moves some points.
    edited October 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Chris, when I get in from work in about 1 1/2 weeks, I will be dropping my new Toledo in my system and will be removing the hat from my Winnie. Maybe I can go meet you at your house with it and we can experiment with the removal together. :D

I've read of people removing it by carefully cutting the sealant around the edge of the IHS with a single edge razor blade or Exacto knife, then carefully prying it off.
    Hell yeah that would be cool ...gimme a call and maybe dad can come by and keep an eye on christopher. He does that almost every weekend anyway!!!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    2.4GHz seems to be my point, I could probably do more since 2.5GHz seems fine in everything but BF2. Still 2.4GHz is still faster than a 4400 according to Sisoft :D
    edited November 2005
    Heres another one. This is a cache crippled Toledo E6 core. 2750-2800 seems to be max if I run 9/10 RAM/CPU. Still using the XP90C: