Windows XP Shutdown/Restart problem

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi all, hope someone can help. I have just built a PC, based on an Abit AN8-V mobo (with latest bios updated), 512mb Corsair value ram, AMD 3500+ Proccessor, Sapphire Radeon X800XL 256mb Graphics, 160GB Maxtor SATA Hard drive (SATA 1 port), 30 gb Maxtor ATA 100 Hardrive ( IDE 1 port )Scan 3XS '2010' ATX Midi Tower 400W PFC PSU + HDD Cooler + 3 x 80mm Fan +SATA Conn, Pioneer 109 DVD writer (flashed to .158)( IDE 2 Port), Sony Floppy drive,Microsoft value pack USB keyboard and USB optical mouse. Running Windows XP OEM inc Service pack 2.

Onto my problem, when I shut down windows, it just restarts again.

I believe it may be a driver issue, either USB or SATA related. I have done a scan with Driver Detective and the issues it finds are with these drivers -

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller
NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
USB Composite Device
USB Human Interface Device
and also include the keyboard and mouse drivers.

Upon installing windows I used the Floppy disk that came with the Mobo, and installed the XP harddrive driver using the F6 button (not the raid as I did not need a raid system) , all device drivers are ok in windows,( ie no '!' ). BUT the harddrive only reads as a ATA 133 upon boot up in the bios, I do have a SATA link in Device manager, the SATA drive shows as Location 0 (Primary ATA Channel), and the slave shows Location 1 (Secondary ATA Channel), and both drives are showing the same driver (Microsoft 5.1.2535.0). Under the 'Disk Drive' heading in device manager, but the Sata drive also shows in the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' ,'NVIDEA nForce serial ATA controller properties' as the primary drive 'transfer mode SerialATA Generation 1' and speed tests at burst speed of 129.2, sustained speed 57.9, so I believe it is working fine as a SATA drive in windows.

I have installed all other standard drivers that came with the hrdware and all windows updates have been done. Also I am using Nero 6 and not Roxio easy CD.

Any ideas guys ? I would be very gratefull for any help.

Praxos

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Praxo,

Could you check a couple of things first? I'll give you what worked for me once -

Try this

Hope it helps. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Praxo,

Could you check a couple of things first? I'll give you what worked for me once -

Try this

Hope it helps. :)

Yep I had already tried this, I do not use Roxio and I have changed the settings without any joy.

Many thanks for your reply though

Praxos
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Okay. There are a number of things documented- but let's knock off a

List of possibilities

Hope there is something here.

Someone may recognize something here right away, but there is a growing number of things that can do this.

Hope it helps-
  • edited October 2005
    I have no software on this list, but, I do have a USB keyboard and mouse, both microsoft plugged into USB ports on the Mobo, also a Firewire card from Adaptec in a PCI slot, perhaps I will try to change this config, try another Keyboard and mouse and unplug the pci card, will let you know what happens.
  • edited October 2005
    OK thanks for your help, it was the PCI IEEE1394 Adaptec card that was at fault, as soon as I took it out the problem dissapeared.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited October 2005
    Adaptec strikes again!