Weird crashing/just plain weird problem.

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Really weird. If I leave my computer on a day or so, I cannot load up any of the "power hungry" games such as Half-life 2, Far Cry, BF2. The computer seems to try to load it, however it sudden stops loading. On Far Cry, it just switches to windows mode and loads very slowly. My CPU and memory seem fine as of now. I have 1gb of ram and what is left as of right now is 500 or so.

Specs are:
AMD 3200+
ATi Radeon x800 256 MB
2x 512 mb Kingston Ram.

I also very rarely gets these weird crashes. Only happened 2 times though. One while playing CS:S and another while playing BF2. Thanks in advance.

Also just a couple minutes ago, I couldn't get any of the games running until like the 3rd restart.

Background info:

By the way, I just built this computer a month ago and had problems and managed to fry my processer. So I return them both and get a new mobo and processer. Then I had corrupt ram, so I got that replaced. I also had a problem with my HDD which it was too big (350 Gigs) and windows couldn't read it. So with that I couldn't install windows. So then I had to get it transfered from anoher HDD (Store took care of it) and that was it. Everything is working fine until now. Sometimes on BF2 after I exit, my resolution on my desktop is the same one in BF2 which is smaller then mine. It is very annoying. And I also can't run it after that happens until I restart my computer.
This is just some background info.

Comments

• edited October 2005
    Can anyone help me at all?????
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    It might be worth your while to take a trip over to our Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum and post a HijackThis log there. (There will be instructions once you get there.) You may have spyware (or even worse) running behind your back gobbling up your system resources.

Have you tried an updated video driver? If you're running the latest driver already, it would be worth a try to give a slightly older one a shot.

And, given the history of this machine, a couple passes of Memtest-86 would be in order.

Good luck. :)
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Be sure to run that Memtest like Prof said. And I would also check those drivers too.

If you already have updated drivers, try uninstalling them and use Driver Cleaner to remove all the ATI files. Re-download your files and reinstall.

If you are using the Radeon card and the ATI Catalyst Control Center, click on View and select Advanced then Overdrive. Your video card temperature should be displayed. Open up HL2 in a High Quality slightly lower resolution window mode so you can monitor your temperature while you are loading the game. Watch to see if your card gets to 70C or higher. You may also try opening up your cabinet and running a fan so it blows inside your case- and see if you can get further into your games than before. If so- you have an overheat problem.

If you also have a motherboard voltage monitor, watch to see if any of your rails are too low or dropping when you start a game- especially the 12V, 3.3V and Vcore (if available). If there is a problem here, it's your power supply.

Hope something in all this helps :thumbsup:
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2005
    Are you running an upgraded PSU? The reason I ask is that your hardware looks power hungry and can prove to be intimidating for those PSUs that come with cases, seeing as how you built it yourself.